Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Anyone not do santa? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1466031)

EmmaGM 11-23-2012 12:19 PM

Anyone not do santa?

I don't think I want to. I just don't like it, seems like a pointless thing to lie about, and I want to focus on the religious aspect of Christmas. Maximum, we're considering telling the story of the saint and having a small tradition regarding that.

If you don't do Santa, how do you do it?

DS has several cousins very close to his age and I'm sure they'll all have Santa. How do I explain to him why a fat man doesn't come down our chimney to give him 800 presents? How do I keep the peace with my family when they're all ticked off that my son could potentially "ruin Christmas" for their kids? What do I do when my in-laws try to give him gifts "from Santa" because we won't (I'm positive this is some bull they'd pull)?

KaleidoscopeEyes 11-23-2012 12:26 PM

Re: Anyone not do santa?

we dont celebrate xmas or easter but we wouldnt do santa or bunny if we did. we also dont do tooth fairy. we explained to the kids what they mean to other families and for them not to spill the beans for other kids. im also an atheist, i dont believe in god, my kids know this but they also know they cant go around telling kids there isnt a god either

Erinne 11-23-2012 12:28 PM

My dd (3yo) knows about Santa because of tv and books, but she knows it's just pretend. She's in love with the tooth fairy and talks about her all the time, but every so often, she'll say, "my mama's the tooth fairy!" and knowing that doesn't seem to ruin it for her, so I assume Santa will be the same way. When other people say anything about Santa I think she just assumes that they know and are pretending and responds appropriately.

KnitterBug Creations 11-23-2012 12:29 PM

we don't do santa either...well we dont' teach the kids that santa brings presents and watches everything you do etc... We basically just let the kids think he's just a holiday figure like the easter bunny or something. he's not real, he's just for fun. My kids are 5 and 2 and they both understand that. They are young still(and homeschooled) so I dont' really have to worry about them running up to their firends and telling them santa's not real or things like that.

newtocloth2 11-23-2012 12:30 PM

We don't really do Santa. We let them watch Christmas movies with Santa, and just tell him he's not real.
We don't really have family issues with it, since we don't live near either sides of our family. I'm not sure if my IL know or care that we don't do Santa. All of the gifts under the tree are from mommy and daddy or grandma or aunt, none from Santa.

crunch!910 11-23-2012 12:32 PM

We do not do Santa. Or the Easter Bunny. Or Tooth Fairy. Or.. whatever. Not that we have a ban on those things in this house. We still watch movies such as the Polar Express and other christmas movies. It is just a matter of we do not teach that those things are REAL and exist. The kids can, however, pretend and play. Much like my son can get the plastic extension from the sweeper and call it a "sword", or pretend a stick is a gun, or pretend there are fish in a bowl of water, or use nothing but a string to "fish" in the bathtub.

We are Christian and try to celebrate the Holidays in our own way. Such as thanksgiving, I refuse to tell my boys the fake story. Even though it has a very ugly history behind it, how so many native americans were slaughtered, I'll use that history lesson to teach my boys to be opened minded, kind, and thankful. Turn a bad thing into a good thing.

justsamma 11-23-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes (Post 15962620)
we dont celebrate xmas or easter but we wouldnt do santa or bunny if we did. we also dont do tooth fairy. we explained to the kids what they mean to other families and for them not to spill the beans for other kids. im also an atheist, i dont believe in god, my kids know this but they also know they cant go around telling kids there isnt a god either

this is our plan. we will celebrate major holidays but i will not lie about it and they will know that the gifts come from us.

Leah52 11-23-2012 12:35 PM

We don't do Santa or baby Jesus, just a tree and a few gifts from us. We do stockings just because I think they are fun, it's all from me though. Both my husband and I were raised in families that didn't do Christmas at all so we just pick and choose what we want to do.

MommyLyssa 11-23-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crunch!910 (Post 15962633)
We do not do Santa. Or the Easter Bunny. Or Tooth Fairy. Or.. whatever. Not that we have a ban on those things in this house. We still watch movies such as the Polar Express and other christmas movies. It is just a matter of we do not teach that those things are REAL and exist. The kids can, however, pretend and play. Much like my son can get the plastic extension from the sweeper and call it a "sword", or pretend a stick is a gun, or pretend there are fish in a bowl of water, or use nothing but a string to "fish" in the bathtub.

We are Christian and try to celebrate the Holidays in our own way. Such as thanksgiving, I refuse to tell my boys the fake story. Even though it has a very ugly history behind it, how so many native americans were slaughtered, I'll use that history lesson to teach my boys to be opened minded, kind, and thankful. Turn a bad thing into a good thing.

Pretty much this :)

DalesWidda 11-23-2012 01:26 PM

I got flack for this last time I admitted this, but I used to do Santa. And the tooth fairy. And the Easter Bunny. Etc, Etc. I am tired of sneaking around my own house, sticking my hand under pillows and praying noone wakes up and "catches" me. I'm tired of getting up at midnight to quietly tiptoe around and put presents under the tree. So, I came clean to my older kids and I am NOT doing Santa with my youngest. We can still visit santa and watch Santa movies, but I am going to make sure she knows that he isn't real. And no more tooth fairy. Oy vey that's a pain in the neck.