Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Leap Frog Question (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1466132)

Crew&West 11-23-2012 07:00 PM

Leap Frog Question

I have a 3yo and a 4yo. DH wants to get them a Leap Frog "like a kid ipad" he said. I have never messed with one or really seen one other than on tv.

Would they be age appropriate? Can they do more than just sing a song or play the alphabet? I want something that can grow with them or like a DS that you can buy different games for learning or fun (for when they get older.. assuming they make it that long!:giggle:)

Would these be a good gift? Any other ideas? Price isn't an issue these are coming from both grandmas and grandpas.

Docs Wife 11-23-2012 07:03 PM

We got them for the kids last year and they like them but we are replacing them this year with nabi 2s.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using DS Forum

Pixi6s 11-23-2012 07:10 PM

Re: Leap Frog Question

I don't have one but my MIL wanted to get my 3yo one so I researched it recently. The games are around $10 each. I don't think it comes with much so if you get it you would want to get a couple games too.

Personally, we have a android tablet and it makes more since for us to just buy games for it. Without actually having a leapfrog I think it would make more since for anyone (a tablet or ipad). They would never grow out of it and them games are only a few dollars (or free).... though you would have to research them more to ensure you are getting a good one.

You can get reasonable tablet for $200 like the Kindle Fire or Google Nexus 7 inch.

crunchymom2b 11-23-2012 07:14 PM

DS personally loves his LeapPad but the games can get pricey ($20 for the cartridges, les for the downloadable apps). I know some of the games say up to age 8 and he loves itright now at age 3. If money isn't an issue I think its a great idea, but will be outgrown at somepoint. Something like a Nook, Kindle, or dedicated Tablet will last much longer but is pricier up front. It really depends on what specifically you want to do with it.

essential1892 11-23-2012 08:08 PM

Our kids each have Kindle Fires- my DS is 5 (he got his when he was 4) and my DD is 3 (she got hers when she finally started to poop on the potty). They are great and the kids are little experts at using them. The apps are cheap, and many times even free, and there are so many educational ones. I also love that I can read the kids books on their Kindles.

They are more money up front, but the apps are so much cheaper and the kids will never outgrow them. Plus they just do so much more than the kid tablets.

EuphoricDysphoria 11-23-2012 10:16 PM

I love ours because it's more durable than our tablet. I'm not nervous when my not so careful DD plays it

jenn5388 11-23-2012 11:12 PM

I bought one for Jake this year. I think he'll really like it. I would never buy him a tablet.. he'd bust that in about 10 minutes. lol

MamaNotes 11-24-2012 01:48 AM

What about leap frog jr? Is that good for 3-4 year olds? My friend is selling hers with 10 books for $30 and I was curious about it..

supermansmomma 11-24-2012 07:07 AM

My son got a Kindle fire last year for his 3rd birthday. My DH bought it as a surprise. He is very good at maneuvering it. Je has dropped that thing numerous times, and it looks a little beat up a year latter, but is still working fine. That being said, he is getting a leap pad 2 for his birthday next week. I think he will love it.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

cmarsh31 11-24-2012 07:41 AM

My son got a LeapFrog (the old one, not the tablet) when he was 3. Currently they're 4 & 7 and playing it together as I sit here on my laptop. The games are too easy for him at 7 (but that's more him - I think some of the games he has could totally be age appropriate for a different kid) but she loves having him help her. It definitely helped him with his basic math facts (which might be part of the reason he's beyond it).

As for Kindle/Nook/adult tablet vs a kids one - honestly, I'd buy a kids one, either the Leapster or Nabi. I don't think that little kids need a real one. 4, 5, 6 years down the road, sure but there's no reason for them to have one at this age. DS just got a DS (that's confusing) last Christmas and we really prefer that he learn to love *actual* books (he does, he goes through 6-10 chapter books, 4-5th grade level, a week) before we move over to electronic ones. The aps and games for the more adult tablets tend to be more gamey and less educational, while the Leapster ones focus on educational value. The best way to learn & memorize math facts is through repetition and these games actually provide a fun way to do it. I'm sure part of it is genetic, but my DS is literally grades above most of his classmates in terms of those things.