Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Craft Chat (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   I have a serger!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1466137)

adjroberts 11-23-2012 07:25 PM

I have a serger!!

I fixed my grandma's old serger and now I get to use it whenever I want! It is awesome! What kind of stuff should I make? What can I make? What is easier with a serger rather than a sewing machine?

WeeEssentials 11-23-2012 07:32 PM

Re: I have a serger!!

Yay! That sounds fun! I like to use it for anything that would be edged - unpaper towels, wipes, etc. Inner seams of clothing work, too, but just not as fun because you can't use fun colors and have them show. :D

Palooka 11-23-2012 07:50 PM

Color me jealous! You should make a frilly dress with ruffles and lots of pretty edges. Then show the dress to your old sewing machine and make it feel inadequate. :D

Only 11-23-2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenn.mcc
Color me jealous! You should make a frilly dress with ruffles and lots of pretty edges. Then show the dress to your old sewing machine and make it feel inadequate. :D

Orrr, she could do all my serging projects I'm being too lazy to do.

misskira 11-23-2012 08:26 PM

I use mine to make flannel jammie pants.

adjroberts 11-24-2012 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenn.mcc

Yes!! How do I do ruffles? Just gather like regular?

babyfever2012 11-25-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenn.mcc (Post 15963820)

Lol! Poor old sewing machine! I'm jealous too! I was just looking at sergers today and wondering when and if I'll ever get one. Have fun sergering!

adjroberts 11-26-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babyfever2012

Lol! Poor old sewing machine! I'm jealous too! I was just looking at sergers today and wondering when and if I'll ever get one. Have fun sergering!

Thank you! I put together a dress today! It was awesome!

adjroberts 11-26-2012 07:57 PM

It really is that bright irl lol. It was already pre-shirred (sp?)

Attachment 125724

Palooka 11-27-2012 07:25 PM

Yup I love those dresses, so fast and pretty! regarding the ruffles, you can hem thin, shiny fabric much easier with a serger than you could with a sewing machine. I think you then gather it at the waist with lots of folds to show off your perfect edges. I recommend toddlers and tiaras for inspiration. Those ladies know how to work a serged edge!