Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community -

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - (
-   Parenting Talk (
-   -   Sittercity (

babycat42 11-25-2012 12:28 PM

Is sittercity worth the cost? My mother used to provide all of my childcare but she is now in the process of divorcing my father and is very emotional and because I chose one time to tell her that her divorce is not my problem she has decided to cut herself out of my life.
I have severe social anxiety and I have zero friends. I still need a couple of hours away from my kids a week to maintain what little sanity I have left.
So would it worth it to pay for a subscription for Sittercity? or Should I play Craigslist roulette?
I don't belong to a church. I spend all of my time home alone with my kids.

luvsviola 11-25-2012 01:41 PM

I won't have a stranger in my home. I did MDO at a church instead. More people around and my kids get to play with other kids. I got to be friends with another mom who I now trade child care with occasionally.

At $10 an hour for a sitter, MDO wasn't much more expensive than a sitter twice a month.

babycat42 11-25-2012 01:59 PM

Re: Sittercity
I am not interested in cultivating any friendships at this time. I only want time to be alone.

jac1976 11-25-2012 02:03 PM

I used Sittercity when my DH was deployed. I didn't have to pay for it since we're military, but I found some great sitters! Once I found a few go to sitters, I stopped using the site. I liked it because you could see the background on the sitter, whether there was a background check or not, and even see reviews if there were any.

luvsviola 11-25-2012 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by babycat42
I am not interested in cultivating any friendships at this time. I only want time to be alone.

MDO is drop-off care. You don't have to talk to people. But generally at drop-off and pick-up you meet the other kids moms.

Ours was two days a week from 9-3.

KelseyH 11-25-2012 02:08 PM

We found a fantastic sitter on SitterCity. We paid like $13 for a background check for one and performed interviews with several. I think for the most part it is reputable sitters.

Riverleaf1772 11-25-2012 03:27 PM

They seemed fine and we had some good and bad options. I just found that the sitters willing to work for what I can pay were not reliable enough for me. I ended up going with a friend's niece.

Palooka 11-25-2012 03:33 PM

We found our current nanny on sittercity. She is extraordinary. It was definitely worth a one month subscription, which we then canceled after hiring her. I recommend the website to everyone. Just know that it is basically a social website, not a service, you still need to call references and do all the vetting you would do with any other stranger about to watch your kids.

Belle 11-25-2012 03:52 PM

I used it and think it's a great resource if you interview and get references. That said, I used it when we were in a major city (DC), so I had tons of people to choose from. I also didn't pay for it since we are military. But, if I ever found myself in the same situation (no friends, family or acquaintances close by) I would pay the subscription for a month or two to find a couple reliable people.

After an initial interview I would also pay any new sitters to come over for an hour or so to play while I was home.

songbird516 11-25-2012 05:34 PM

I am a sitter on sittercity, and I like the way it works for sitters. I got really great nanny job through there but got laid off when pregnant. Seems like it would be worth trying for at least a month :)