Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Sittercity (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1466521)

babycat42 11-25-2012 12:28 PM

Sittercity

Is sittercity worth the cost? My mother used to provide all of my childcare but she is now in the process of divorcing my father and is very emotional and because I chose one time to tell her that her divorce is not my problem she has decided to cut herself out of my life.
I have severe social anxiety and I have zero friends. I still need a couple of hours away from my kids a week to maintain what little sanity I have left.
So would it worth it to pay for a subscription for Sittercity? or Should I play Craigslist roulette?
I don't belong to a church. I spend all of my time home alone with my kids.

luvsviola 11-25-2012 01:41 PM

I won't have a stranger in my home. I did MDO at a church instead. More people around and my kids get to play with other kids. I got to be friends with another mom who I now trade child care with occasionally.

At $10 an hour for a sitter, MDO wasn't much more expensive than a sitter twice a month.

babycat42 11-25-2012 01:59 PM

Re: Sittercity

I am not interested in cultivating any friendships at this time. I only want time to be alone.

jac1976 11-25-2012 02:03 PM

I used Sittercity when my DH was deployed. I didn't have to pay for it since we're military, but I found some great sitters! Once I found a few go to sitters, I stopped using the site. I liked it because you could see the background on the sitter, whether there was a background check or not, and even see reviews if there were any.

luvsviola 11-25-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babycat42
I am not interested in cultivating any friendships at this time. I only want time to be alone.

MDO is drop-off care. You don't have to talk to people. But generally at drop-off and pick-up you meet the other kids moms.

Ours was two days a week from 9-3.

KelseyH 11-25-2012 02:08 PM

We found a fantastic sitter on SitterCity. We paid like $13 for a background check for one and performed interviews with several. I think for the most part it is reputable sitters.

Riverleaf1772 11-25-2012 03:27 PM

They seemed fine and we had some good and bad options. I just found that the sitters willing to work for what I can pay were not reliable enough for me. I ended up going with a friend's niece.

Palooka 11-25-2012 03:33 PM

We found our current nanny on sittercity. She is extraordinary. It was definitely worth a one month subscription, which we then canceled after hiring her. I recommend the website to everyone. Just know that it is basically a social website, not a service, you still need to call references and do all the vetting you would do with any other stranger about to watch your kids.

Belle 11-25-2012 03:52 PM

I used it and think it's a great resource if you interview and get references. That said, I used it when we were in a major city (DC), so I had tons of people to choose from. I also didn't pay for it since we are military. But, if I ever found myself in the same situation (no friends, family or acquaintances close by) I would pay the subscription for a month or two to find a couple reliable people.

After an initial interview I would also pay any new sitters to come over for an hour or so to play while I was home.

songbird516 11-25-2012 05:34 PM

I am a sitter on sittercity, and I like the way it works for sitters. I got really great nanny job through there but got laid off when pregnant. Seems like it would be worth trying for at least a month :)