Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Toddler-Worthy Veggie Sides (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1466552)

cobbermama 11-25-2012 01:05 PM

Toddler-Worthy Veggie Sides

DD is super anti-veggie. We've always just had plain veggies on the side with dinner b/c DH and I both like them, but they're a no-go for my picky LO. Homemade cheese sauce makes them acceptable, but I don't want to do cheese sauce every night. :) Anyone have easy/thrifty suggestions??

The Fancy Pansy 11-25-2012 01:11 PM

Re: Toddler-Worthy Veggie Sides

What about ranch or other dressing? Or butter? My dds are butter fiends. LOL.

myclanof6 11-25-2012 01:15 PM

I always hide veggies in food. Ds3 would only eat black eyes peas for the longest time. When he was turning 5 I told him since he was a big boy he had to try two new veggies each year. Now he eats green beans or corn (about 3-4 bites) but that's it.
I grate zucchini, squash and carrots into most spaghetti/marina type sauces and no one knows. I make chicken broth by boiling chicken breast with onion, celery and carrots, then make a purée out of the veggies to add to gravy.
I don't have much help other than "forcing" them to take at least 1 bite of it and always putting it on their plates. My kids know that they have to try 1 bite before leaving the table. They have to eat 3-4 to get dessert.

cobbermama 11-25-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myclanof6
I always hide veggies in food. Ds3 would only eat black eyes peas for the longest time. When he was turning 5 I told him since he was a big boy he had to try two new veggies each year. Now he eats green beans or corn (about 3-4 bites) but that's it.
I grate zucchini, squash and carrots into most spaghetti/marina type sauces and no one knows. I make chicken broth by boiling chicken breast with onion, celery and carrots, then make a purée out of the veggies to add to gravy.
I don't have much help other than "forcing" them to take at least 1 bite of it and always putting it on their plates. My kids know that they have to try 1 bite before leaving the table. They have to eat 3-4 to get dessert.

Thanks! I hadn't thought to grate them into things, that's smart.

She is only 14 1/2 months, so trying to make her eat bites is pretty futile yet, haha. I will be getting creative until she is a bit older. :)

teacherpippi 11-25-2012 01:21 PM

-Sweet potato fries
-Stir fried veggies
-Roasted cauliflower

myclanof6 11-25-2012 01:24 PM

Lol yeah at that age you can't make them do anything they don't want to do.
Have you tried giving her peanut butter yet? She could dip things in PB, much healthier than ranch if she just needs to dip it in something. What about letting her put a few sprinkles (yes the candy ones!) on the veggies? Kids will eat weird things. :/ Give her a few (maybe about 10?) and let her put them on and maybe she might eat them then.

ETA: I usually had to bribe mine when they were little. Dd LOVES grapes (she's 2) and I have to give her a grape after every bite of something sometimes. Doesn't always work, but I would rather bribe her with fruit rather than junk to get her to eat some veggies. This week she is apparently a carnivore and ONLY eating meat, no veggies in the last 4/5 days. I pick my battles. :)

kirst 11-25-2012 02:24 PM

What about stir fried veggies with some sort of sweet plum sauce or pineapple-based sauce?

kirst 11-25-2012 02:25 PM

Also mashed carrots with applesauce is less veggie and more dessert-like

kirst 11-25-2012 02:30 PM

butternut squash mashed with butter and marshmallows on top, throw in a casserole and warm up in oven until marshmallows fluff and brown.

Not as healthy as a stir fry but you could puree and hid other vegs in there, too.

danielle 11-25-2012 07:38 PM

My kids aren't picky, but they go crazy for squash with a bit of honey and coconut oil, and all things sweet potato.