Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Help me find a good family dog. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1466591)

dvansmom 11-25-2012 03:20 PM

Help me find a good family dog.

We are in the market for a dog. It needs to be good with kids and babies. We also have chickens. I wanted something small to medium in size.

keen1981 11-25-2012 03:23 PM

Go meet some. Really no one can tell you any greed is a perfect dog. Although goldens are likely the best universal fit. Contact local rescues if you want to avoid the puppy stage which is what I'd do so you can test chickens ect. A border collie would complete my family- but a mature one as they are in constant need of stimulation and should be 'worked'. A lot of people don't consider the DOGS needs. And many amazing dogs NEED to be worked. And that's intense play for 60+ minutes a day. NOT easy with kids. Play does not equal roaming the yard, either. Lol.

bellybellybuttons 11-25-2012 03:26 PM

Re: Help me find a good family dog.

A goldendoodle is perfect.

EmsMom 11-25-2012 06:17 PM

We have a golden retriever and she's wonderful. We got her as a 6yr old as I had no desire to do the puppy stage :) She's happiest when the kids are lying all over her lol. However the shedding is a bit much and if we had a baby or very young child it would likely make me crazy. Ours is also so friendly she wouldn't be any kind of guard dog.

ralenth 11-25-2012 07:15 PM

I have a King Charles Cavalier Spaniel, who is an amazing family dog. He's small in size (he'll be about 18lbs fully grown), is fairly low energy - he does as much or as little as you need him to do. Loves hiking, but also loves sitting on your lap on any given day. The downside is that he really hates being left alone... he's happiest with people, his people. He is great with the kids, and just a really good dog. I honestly never thought I'd like having a small dog - and after having a cavalier, I love this size/breed of dog.

cdeweese 11-25-2012 07:18 PM

Our BEST and healthiest dogs have always been mixed breeds :) The shelters have a lot to choose from and many try to socialize them before they are adopted out. If you aren't stuck on a purebred its worth visiting a few shelters and seeing what's available.

raymark 11-25-2012 07:37 PM

Will it be an indoor dog? Does it have to be content with being an only dog? How often will it be alone each day? What activity level matches your abilities? How often do you plan on going for walks? What training resources are available to you? Are you willing to or able to find a more specialized vet if the breeds medical needs aren't the same as most breeds needs and additional precautions need to be followed (such as with greyhounds, low body fat breeds, and some others)?

mekat 11-25-2012 10:20 PM

I agree breeds are an individual choice. For example, I love poodles and can't stand to live with beagles. However, beagles are a great breed they just don't mesh well with me and my wants yet poodles can be pretty high maintenance because of grooming requirements but that doesn't bother me.

The smaller the dog the more easily hurt they can be by small children. If your kids are still preschool age or less I would cross smaller toy breeds off your list because they are more vulnerable to rough treatment.

anne_josh 11-25-2012 11:59 PM

I'd cross small (toy) dogs off; your kids are too young to be as gentle as they would require.

How much time do you have to devote to exercise, grooming, etc.? Mostly inside dog or mostly out? And what do you mean by "medium" because to some people my 60 lb black lab is a big dog but I don't consider her big at all. :)

tinyblackdot 11-26-2012 12:07 AM

I have a young daughter and a 6 lb dachshund and they are wonderful together. I don't think that young children means you can't have a small toy dog. It just means you have to teach your children to respect your pet. My daughter never carries our dog, and knows that she is smaller and more gentle than her. She is the first and only "breed" we have ever bought and she is well worth the ridiculous price we payed. Hands down best dog I have ever owned.

We also have a blue heeler, who is about 20 lbs and an AMAZING and loyal family dog. They can be a bit protective though, so if you have a lot of guests over maybe not then best choice.