Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Baby-proofing advice needed (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1466845)

Meganeliz9 11-26-2012 12:07 PM

Baby-proofing advice needed

What have you all done to get your homes ready for a soon-to-be mobile LO?
My husband and I disagree about this--he says we don't need to do much because we will always be supervising. I'm thinking we at least need to cover outlets, baby gates at the top and bottom of the stairs, door handle cover to the basement stairs and cabinet locks under the sink and in the bathrooms. Oh--and shorten the blind cords.

Is my husband right? Do we not need to do as much as I think we do? He does have a point about the supervision because we have 2 dogs and while they are good with LO, they are still animals and I won't ever leave LO in a place where they could get at him if I'm not right there. So, for example, if I have to go to the bathroom or shower etc., LO goes into his crib or pack-n-play.

Thoughts?

Teexie 11-26-2012 12:14 PM

Your LO will be faster than you think! You may be right there supervising, but he'll be able to climb to the stairs in the time it takes you to let the dogs out or glance at your phone to read a text. Plus its easier to take away the temptation of jamming things into electrical sockets rather than saying no and dragging him away all day. I'd take care of all the stuff you mentioned, and then you'll be able to make other adjustments as he gets into the stuff you had no idea he'd get into.

MDever 11-26-2012 12:18 PM

Re: Baby-proofing advice needed

You have to focus on something else every once in a while or you will be living in chaos and starving:chuckle: We are expecting our 6th baby and have always made our house as safe and comfortable as it can be. The safety items you are refering to are a "normal" and necessary amount. You want to be comfortable and have your LO be comfortable too. It would be no fun for either of you if you had to be hyper vigilant every second of the day and if your LO was constantly being told to not touch, get down, etc. If you wanted to bubble paper the house that would be too much but the things you are talking about are life threatening. You have the right idea IMO.

aept 11-26-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meganeliz9
My husband and I disagree about this--he says we don't need to do much because we will always be supervising. I'm thinking we at least need to cover outlets, baby gates at the top and bottom of the stairs, door handle cover to the basement stairs and cabinet locks under the sink and in the bathrooms. Oh--and shorten the blind cords.

Is my husband right? Do we not need to do as much as I think we do? He does have a point about the supervision because we have 2 dogs and while they are good with LO, they are still animals and I won't ever leave LO in a place where they could get at him if I'm not right there. So, for example, if I have to go to the bathroom or shower etc., LO goes into his crib or pack-n-play.

Thoughts?

I find I've needed more baby proofing with more kids. Mostly because then I'm sometimes not supervising (you know, needing to go wipe a big brother's bottom or something...) Also, we don't have pets like you do so my kids have more "freedom to roam" I guess.
Even for just one kiddo, though, I'd make sure any stairs, including to the basement, are off limits and do the plug covers and maybe not all cabinets but at least the ones that have cleaners and whatnot. So, yeah, that's pretty much your exact list! Also you might want a regular portable pressure gate to keep dogs out of a playroom or anywhere else.
Even if you are able to be always supervising, it's so nice to know at least a few rooms are babyproofed, so LO can play freely in that room with you while you fold laundry, clean, cook - whatever - without you having to stop what you're trying to be doing every two seconds to keep them from crawling upstairs or sticking their fingers in an outlet.

EmilytheStrange 11-26-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meganeliz9 (Post 15972009)

the electrical covers are a must. and definitely the baby gate at the bottom of the stairs. We have never needed one at the top - not to say that we won't with this next baby - but it was never an issue with DD. So I'd wait with that one until you absolutely feel a great NEED to drill holes in walls at the top of your stairway. I was very paranoid about it and it never was something I needed to do.

I wouldn't worry about door handle covers yet unless you have those lever like pull handles. It will be awhile before they will figure out the round type door handles.

I would definitely put cabinet locks on low cabinets that have any chemicals in them at all - better yet - move all chemicals to high cabinets because someday they will figure out those locks and it's best if those things are not accessible. I would also put all your plastic bowls, etc in a low cabinet and just let your LO play.

as far as shortening the blind cords, that can be done in 2 seconds - just double em up and tie them up high. You don't need special hardware to do that.

jam's mum 11-26-2012 12:35 PM

I consider myself relatively laid-back about safety but we:

- covered up the outlets (absolutely necessary for us, they held magnetic attraction for her)
- put up a stair gate at the top of the stairs, and then added one at the bottom of the stairs when she wanted to climb them
- bolted a big bookcase to the wall
- cabinet lock for the under-the-sink cabinet
- bathroom door closed (she hadn't realised there was water in the toilet before she started walking...)

Even then she still finds ways to get into mischief.

abunchoflemons 11-26-2012 12:43 PM

If crawling I would say cabinets, stairs & outlets. My 19 month gets in tupperware...not biggie for me... can't lock me out of house or open doors. I have dare devil.... climb up on high chair, stairs & playground..... on furniture.... so you. Can only go so high. I don't go to bathroom & shut door to watch 19 month.... she has been mobile since 7 month...oldest was 8 & never crawled.....

neuro_mom 11-26-2012 12:59 PM

I feel your pain. I'm battling w/ my dh over this one too. We've got the safety plugs, gate at top of stairs and bottom of stairs, and fenced off areas. However, dh has all this crap (pardon my french but it's been an ongoing fight) all over the house that he needs to shove in the basement or garage. He didn't want to bolt the bookcases but I think I finally won that one. He also said he would do the cabinet locks. If he doesn't do it in the next couple of months, I'll drag out the drill and threaten to do it myself. That usually gets him going ;)

Everything you are talking about is standard safety precautions. Hence, you aren't being unreasonable asking your dh to take these precautions w/ you.

luvsviola 11-26-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jam's mum (Post 15972130)
I consider myself relatively laid-back about safety but we:

- covered up the outlets (absolutely necessary for us, they held magnetic attraction for her)
- put up a stair gate at the top of the stairs, and then added one at the bottom of the stairs when she wanted to climb them
- bolted a big bookcase to the wall
- cabinet lock for the under-the-sink cabinet
- bathroom door closed (she hadn't realised there was water in the toilet before she started walking...)

Even then she still finds ways to get into mischief.

This. You'd be amazed how fast kiddo will be while you are cooking dinner, emptying the dryer, or going to the bathroom!

We love our Superyard for the times that we can't be right there with baby.

Meganeliz9 11-26-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDever (Post 15972049)
If you wanted to bubble paper the house that would be too much but the things you are talking about are life threatening. You have the right idea IMO.

Can't I just bubble paper the house?!:goodvibes: