Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Pure vs. virgin coconut oil?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1466902)

dancingingrace 11-26-2012 01:22 PM

Pure vs. virgin coconut oil??

Can anyone tell me if pure coconut oil is the same as virgin coconut oil? I'm guessing not, but I just wanted to ask for sure. Someone on here told me that Wal-Mart sold a container of coconut oil for around $6 or something, and I found it this weekend when I went to the store, so I got it (figuring I can return it if it isn't what I want, but at least I'll have it). It is "All Natural LouAna Pure Coconut Oil". All the ones I've found online that are virgin are more expensive, so it would be awesome if this is just as good as those are...I'm new to coconut oil, if you couldn't tell, lol. I would like to try all different uses for it...cooking, diaper rash, moisturizer, etc. I don't think they're the same, but...anyone?? TIA!! :goodvibes:

NorwexMa 11-26-2012 01:38 PM

Re: Pure vs. virgin coconut oil??

I've purchased both. Walmart also carried an organic brand- but it might be in a differnt spot- maybe by the organic foods?
There is a difference in texture. The organic seemed to have little 'grains' in it that did 'melt'. The LouAna brand is more like an oil. They also have a little differnt smell.
I mainly use it for lotion, and in real small amounts. Once the LouAna tub i have is gone, I may buy the organic for a few $ more at Walmart, since it takes me so long to use it, and I think the organic is more like the 'real' thing, and less processed.

Liadan23 11-27-2012 12:44 PM

LouAna is "pure" in that it only has coconut oil in it, nothing else. So that's good! It's refined though, so it doesn't have quite the same benefits as virgin coconut oil which is less processed. I think it's still a better option than canola oil. I do buy the LouAna from Walmart and use it for things like diaper rash, moisturizer, etc and it works quite well for that. I also cook with it when I'm cooking things where I don't want a strong coconut flavor. But, personally, I think the virgin coconut oil has more of the "good stuff" so I buy both and my goal is always to use the virgin where I can in cooking. I don't use it for cosmetic applications because LouAna is cheaper and I'm trying to prioritize what I spend my money on. :)

MissyMia 12-03-2012 01:25 PM

I have 3 different kinds right now. The two from Walmart and one Dr Bronners. The only one that smells like coconut is the pure virgin unrefined one from Dr Bronners, and it ran about $10. The Spectrum organic one seems nicer then the Louanna one from Walmart, but doesn't really have a coconut smell to me. I use the organic one for eating/cooking and the Louanna one for seasoning my cast iron pan. I used to use the cheaper one for diaper rash and it worked fine.