Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Potty Training (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   At what age did you make your child wipe themselves? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1467295)

3 ladybugs 11-27-2012 04:16 PM

At what age did you make your child wipe themselves?

My son has been PT since he was 21 months old. He is now 4 years 2 months old and we still wipe him when he poos. I believe he is capable of wiping but I am not sure how far I should push him.

So when did you make your child wipe themselves when they went to the bathroom?

I am newly pregnant right now and I have a VERY weak stomach. I know when morning sickness kicks in I will likely throw up every time I wipe him. This will likely traumatize him but I can't help it.

Thanks for the help!

itiswhatitis1984 11-27-2012 04:37 PM

What if you had him wipe himself & then you can check when he's done to make sure he did a decent job. That way you don't have to do it all. I think he's at the age that he can do it himself. When I worked at a day care & when I nannied the kids were doing it by that age.

leyash 11-27-2012 05:17 PM

Re: At what age did you make your child wipe themselves?

My kids started wiping themselves when they were 3ish. I would check and make sure they got it all, and now they are 4 and 5, and completely independent in that department. ;)

slingmama4 11-27-2012 05:28 PM

I feel your pain. :hugs: I say let him wipe ( good or bad) and give him a bath every night. Sure, you'll probably have some streaked undies for awhile, but at least you're not puking. My 2nd son was a horrible wiper at first, but as the years progressed he matured in his wiping skills.:giggle2:

Jen's_4 11-27-2012 08:05 PM

Usually at age 3. If you think he's ready, have him do it and then you can check him. Give him a few pointers if he needs it, then let it go. It won't be a huge deal if he misses some now and then, he'll just get cleaned in the bath. Plus I'm always excited to see that stage go....I'm not really a fan of the "come wipe my bottom!" stage.

tinytushi 11-27-2012 08:10 PM

I agree with the around age 3ish. I had all 3 of my kids start wiping around the age of 3 and a half. For the first couple of weeks I checked up on them and then turned them loose to do it on their own.

raymark 11-28-2012 09:00 AM

I never made mine, they just started doing it when they were ready to not have to wait for DH or I to help. BTW: flush able wet wipes make all the difference in how well they are able to do it when they do try:)

raymark 11-28-2012 09:00 AM

I never made mine, they just started doing it when they were ready to not have to wait for DH or I to help. BTW: flush able wet wipes make all the difference in how well they are able to do it when they do try:)

luvsviola 11-28-2012 07:11 PM

When DD was 4, she did it but we checked afterward. She didn't do a great job. She started going all on her own some time around 4.5.

rverrone11 11-28-2012 11:26 PM

My older DD is 5, and I still wipe when she goes poo. She is not an independent child by any means. I have the feeling my 2.5 year old will be doing it around 3 as she is very independent.