Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Almond Milk drinkers (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1467387)

MrzP427 11-27-2012 10:28 PM

Almond Milk drinkers

Does anyone here drink Almond Milk full time? If so can I make Ice cream and Yogurt with it? Trying to start My DS on a NonDairy diet. What do you do about cheese? Thanks

Yarnjess 11-27-2012 10:33 PM

Re: Almond Milk drinkers

Not sure about almond milk, but I know you can do ice cream and yogurt from coconut milk. There are even a couple commercial brands that sell those.

Resellmybelle 11-27-2012 10:36 PM

I drink almond milk in my coffee and over my cereal.

I prefer to make ice cream and bake with coconut milk, the kind in the can (you can find in the Asian section), not the watered down refrigerated kind. You can substitute out cup for cup coconut milk in anything sweet like cupcakes, waffles, pancakes or savory and it will come out wonderful, think mashed potatoes, creamy soups, scalloped potatoes.

Daiya cheese is a great substitute. Also nutritional yeast sprinkled over pasta or on pizza makes a great parmesean substitute. For the most part we just do without cheese and don't miss it. For example: I make quesadillas with tortillas, spinach, mushrooms, onions, black beans, some hot sauce, we just don't miss the cheese or the hacking after.

I also use soft or silken tofu in my pasta sauce and it creates a ricotta cheese texture and takes on the flavor of the red sauce. Turns out wonderfully. You can use that same style silken tofu to make creamy dips like French onion, just substitute the tofu for the sour cream and use the spice packet.

We eat tofutti brand better than cream cheese and sour cream, it is fantastic. I use silken tofu in my smoothies to make them creamy.

Try Happy Herbivore for some wonderful cheese sauce substitute recipes. She makes a great one using nutritional yeast, there is a simpler one in her book I think, but I found this one on her blog. (She has a link to her book at the top of the page saying there's a nut free version of the same recipe.) nacho cheese. You could also drizzle that sauce on top of pizza for a nice creamy cheesy taste.

I would highly recommend picking up her first book.

Items I am never without in my dairy free pantry:
Earth Balance Butter
Canned coconut milk and cream
Shelf stable almond milk and soy milk
Shelf stable silken tofu
Regular tub style tofu in firm
Tofutti cream cheese and sour cream
Nutritional yeast
Egg replacer (in case you are going egg free too, we did)

Good luck!

babykanani 11-28-2012 01:32 AM

We`re drinking almond milk daily in our smoothie, coffee and tea and love it. I tried to make yoghurt out of it once with my yoghurt-machine, but it didn`t work. They sell almond yoghurt in my local health food store thoug...it should work. I maybe just took the wrong cultures or did another mistake...