Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   How do you "keep" your honey? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1468118)

myclanof6 11-30-2012 07:43 AM

How do you "keep" your honey?

Found some great local raw honey that I want to buy, but we just don't eat it very often. What is the best way to keep it so it doesn't crystallize? How long does it keep compared to the store bought generic/cheap stuff?
Also, I've heard that honey can be used for other than eating, what do you use it for?

Nerissa 11-30-2012 11:18 AM

Re: How do you "keep" your honey?

I always buy a 4lb jar from a local souce and just keep it in the cupboard. Towards the end it may get a little cristally (is that even a word) but I use it anyway. I just warm it up and the crystals dissapear. i use it in a ton of stuff

As for uses:
~in my latte every morning
~in my oatmeal every morning
~on PB sandwiches
~on pancakes
~in bread or other baked goods that call for sugar or corn syrup
~in granola
~in granola bars
~on corn bread
~when we have coughs/sore throat we start with honey
~I made a peach honey butter (like apple butter) this summer
~mixed in plain or vanilla yogurt
~in smooties
~mixed in homemade applesauce
~in salad dressing
I made a dressing for a fruit salad this summer that had honey, basil,
lemon juice over fresh berries and quania
~mix with mustard for dipping sauce for chicken
~use as a glaze (with other ingredients) for chicken, pork, turkey
~mix with cream cheese, yogurt, honey dip for apples or pears

Hungry Caterpillar 11-30-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerissa (Post 15989625)
I always buy a 4lb jar from a local souce and just keep it in the cupboard. Towards the end it may get a little cristally (is that even a word) but I use it anyway. I just warm it up and the crystals dissapear. i use it in a ton of stuff

As for uses:
~in my latte every morning
~in my oatmeal every morning
~on PB sandwiches
~on pancakes
~in bread or other baked goods that call for sugar or corn syrup
~in granola
~in granola bars
~on corn bread
~when we have coughs/sore throat we start with honey
~I made a peach honey butter (like apple butter) this summer
~mixed in plain or vanilla yogurt
~in smooties
~mixed in homemade applesauce
~in salad dressing
I made a dressing for a fruit salad this summer that had honey, basil,
lemon juice over fresh berries and quania
~mix with mustard for dipping sauce for chicken
~use as a glaze (with other ingredients) for chicken, pork, turkey
~mix with cream cheese, yogurt, honey dip for apples or pears

Yes, all of these! Plus, if it's local, we do a spoonful every day for allergies.

ETA: We just keep it in the jar purchased in, in a cabinet away from the light. I don't have issues with it crystallizing but we do go thru it relatively quickly.

aaiya 11-30-2012 11:27 PM

I don't mind crystallization. That's what unprocessed honey does. I bought mine in 5 lb tubs and just transfer it in to a pint jar for easy handling. If I need to get rid of the crystals to make spreading easier, I just take off the lid and microwave it for a bit (though putting it in a pan of boiling water would probably work just as well).

ecocentric 11-30-2012 11:45 PM

I usually get mine from the beekeeper at the farmer's market. I keep mine in a mason jar in a cupboard, never had any crystallize. But I've heard its easy to warm up as pp mentioned. My favorite non-eating way to use it is as a face wash- delightful! You can also put it on wounds/burns.
Oh and as far as how long it keeps- I've read that there was honey in the pyramids that is still edible. So as long as its sealed from moisture, it will last indefinitely. (here's a source: http://www.uvasgold.com/gba/honey.shtml)

momof7 12-01-2012 03:54 PM

I keep mine in the cupboard. It keeps good & I've never had problems.

P!nkPepper 12-02-2012 08:52 AM

I have a jar in the bathroom for face wash (and in case a diabetic kid goes low and won't take anything else) and some in the kitchen cabinet for recipes/tea.

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k

CMamma 12-03-2012 09:54 AM

I use it for everything!! I just wrote a post about using it as a face wash. Also use it for a sweetener, a cough & sore throat remedy & even putting on cuts & scrapes as an antibiotic cream.

CMamma 12-03-2012 09:56 AM

FYI, honey doesn't "go bad" so you know. It will last for thousands of years (they've found still good honey in the pyramids/tombs)/forever. Crystalization is the natural process that occurs in honey as a defense mechanism. Just warm it up in warm water (below 140 to keep it raw) to return to liquid state if it hardens. If you cook honey past 140 (which is what happens in pasteurization) it just becomes a liquid sugar, basically.

myclanof6 12-03-2012 02:09 PM

Thanks for the replies! I think I'm going to pick some up sometime this week, whenever I can make it out with dd-she has a runny nose and is congested. :(