Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early Arrivals (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=210)
-   -   not sure if this counts? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1468362)

littlesaurusrae 11-30-2012 11:36 PM

not sure if this counts?

I went in for an ultrasound at 38 weeks to try to get a 4d ultrasound before dd was born. when they did the ultrasound the technician never said anything about the baby which was somewhat worrisome. once I got back to the exam room the midwife came in and told me that I had a 5 week leg on my ultrasound. my dd came into this world via emergency c section at 38w6d weighing 4lbs 13ozs and measuring at 18 inches. I was told later on that I had placental failure and that's why my baby had stopped growing. does that make my baby a preemie who was born at term? or how would that be classified. people constantly ask me why she's still so tiny and I struggle to explain it all out to them but I don't know if I could say she was a preemie. I would feel like I was making light of the struggles of preemie moms who spend months at the hospital with their nicu babies. so I don't want to offend any Mommas if I do say dd was a preemie.

me_just_me 12-01-2012 12:10 AM

Re: not sure if this counts?

First off, congratulations on you sweet little baby! Glad they were able to see that she wasn't getting nutrients and were able to get her out in time!

I would just say exactly what you said in your post. She is small due to placental failure. She isn't a preemie, just small from not getting quite enough nutrients. I think most people would understand that.

I think that condition is called IUGR (Intrauterine Growth Restriction) so if you want a term, you could use that to explain to people.

ktmelody 12-01-2012 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by me_just_me
First off, congratulations on you sweet little baby! Glad they were able to see that she wasn't getting nutrients and were able to get her out in time!

I would just say exactly what you said in your post. She is small due to placental failure. She isn't a preemie, just small from not getting quite enough nutrients. I think most people would understand that.

I think that condition is called IUGR (Intrauterine Growth Restriction) so if you want a term, you could use that to explain to people.

Yup.

She was born at term and suffered from IUGR.

Any baby born from 38-42 weeks weighing less than 6 pounds 1 ounce is technically IuGR.

Congrats on your sweet baby!!

littlesaurusrae 12-01-2012 12:16 PM

Re: not sure if this counts?

ah, thank you both so much :D I shall just tell them that she suffered from iugr and that she was not a preemie. I had no idea what that would be termed, I've never heard of iugr.