Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Snack ideas (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1468638)

indigo152 12-02-2012 04:06 AM

Snack ideas

I could use easy snack ideas for my little ones (and me)!
Often we snack on crackers, esp Goldfish crackers - I confess to loving them as much as my kids! I know crackers aren't the healthiest option. I would love ideas of healthy snacks that are also high in protein, as well as snacks that I can just grab from the refrigerator or cabinet.

jbug_4 12-02-2012 05:29 AM

Re: Snack ideas

If your willing to do a little work ahead of time you can make stuff for the week like apple chips (takes about 2 hours in the oven), kale chips (20 mins in the oven), granola bars, mini waffle sandwiches, etc. My kids normally just eat fruit for snacks, but some stuff they like (in addition to above)- olives (just plain black olives) and carrot sticks, sliced red peppers (could use hummus to dip them in), salsa and chips (multigrain tortilla chips), guac and chips, wow butter (fake peanut butter) and cracker (ritz type) sandwiches, wow butter and honey on crackers, yogurt with granola (homemade), apple slices and wow butter, dried cranberries, dried cherries, raisins (those are the only dried fruit that we can find that are nut free but both my kids love them and I use them in granola bars) and one of dd's favorites- egg people. Hard boiled egg (can be stored several days left in its shell in the fridge) cut in half. Olive slices for the eyes, red pepper for the mouth and carrots strips for the hair and nose. Really wish I could find a picture, we got it from a sesame street cook book. DD gets them for lunch sometimes with extra carrot and olives. Everything can be prepared ahead of time then you just assemble it when ready to eat. takes just a minute to put together. This is not them but it gives you an idea http://www.parenting.com/article/bun...ped-egg-recipe . I freeze mini waffles for waffle sandwiches - which are usually wow butter. Only takes about 20 seconds to that in the microwave. For grab and go we usually do dried fruits, apple chips, ect. Sometimes pretzels and crackers.

Nerissa 12-02-2012 07:53 AM

Here are some of the tings we like

~celery with PB and raisins
~yougurt
~string cheese or cheese chunks
~Dried or freeze dried fruit withncrackers
~granola bars. I make on that is just like Fiber one ir the chewy granola bars theynare quick and easy
~any fresh fruit
~hummis with crackers or veggies
~salsa with chips
~avacados with crackers
~mini sandwiches: pb, ham/cheese, cucjmber, tomato.

Lately snacks are what my 5 year old can get in his own since the baby is eating when tbeynwant snacks and I like teachimg him how to cook.

tesslouise 12-02-2012 05:45 PM

We do crackers but also:
Clif Z bars, $.70 each at Trader Joe's
Fruit leather from Aldi
Energy bites, I use the recipe that ran in the Huffington Post
Apple slices
Grapes, fresh or frozen
Multigrain Cheerios
Dried and freeze-dried fruits
Cucumber slices

Hungry Caterpillar 12-02-2012 07:57 PM

We do apples and cheddar cheese chunks (or if I am really lazy, I shred cheddar on the largest hole), yo baby yogurt, salami and cheese, berries and greek yogurt, and whatever fruit is seasonal with some sort of nut butter. I cut up cheese once on generally Sundays and then it's ready for the week. String cheese is my easy take along when we are out and about, along with cheerios or puffs. I am trying to give him a protein and a carb mix for snack.

katiejack 12-03-2012 12:26 AM

This is my new favorite bean snack. It is so yummy!

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008...nzo-beans.html

My crock pots cook a lot faster than hers do o I only cooked this for about 3 hours and propped the lid open with a butter knife. I also used chipotle chili powder instead of cayenne.

newbiemama 12-06-2012 05:54 PM

:bump:

i need ideas too! I also want ideas for bedtime snacks. Something filling besides cheese. we eat a LOT of cheese!!

Ariomi 12-06-2012 08:33 PM

Peanut Butter (other alternatives) are super filling. I feel like we eat a TON of cheese too, its the go to snack around here. . but if they need a snack before bed and we've already done cheese that day I'll just put a layer of peanut butter on whole grain saltines (with the salt rubbed off lol) I find that a lot of other whole grain crackers don't go to well with PB, great with hummus but not PB.

xoxoproverbs31 01-18-2013 09:31 PM

Snacks in our house are a must!

Looking at my fridge that has quick printed out options so people are blankly standing in the kitchen is as follows...

- fresh fruit (bananas, pears, apples, pears, mandarin oranges, blueberries)
- peanut butter with fruit or graham crackers
- cheese sticks
- chips
- fig bars
- organic clif bars for kids have tons of vits and are cheap at Costco
- dry cereal
- baby puffs
- slim Jim's have tons of protein and my 2.5yo loves them
- snap-pea crisps from sprouts
- sprouts brand cheese puffs
- fruit snacks
- dehydrated fruit like apple rings or banana chips

Felicia.Delaney 01-18-2013 10:10 PM

We have a 4 y.o who seems to be a bottomless pit lately. So glad to have come across this. I need to put together some go to snacks for her so I am not left scrambling through my days trying to figure out what would be appropriate for her.