Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   $100 Cloth for charity WWYB? Updated w/ picture and shout outs (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1468931)

papoosecaboose 12-03-2012 08:49 AM

$100 Cloth for charity WWYB? Updated w/ picture and shout outs

1 Attachment(s)
I was so excited to find a tag specifically requesting cloth diapers on the Birthright Angel Tree at church yesterday. I'm giving myself a $100 budget (hope it's okay w hubby), since that's what I typically spend on angel tree gifts.
Soooo, what should I get??? The gift can be new or used. I know a lot of you will recommend prefolds and covers. I know that's most economical and maybe that's just what I should get. But I personally do not care for prefolds and don't know what type of Mama might get these diapers. There is a bit of a learning curve with prefolds and they do seem old fashioned. I would love to give some pockets just to show how easy they are, not to mention cute and user friendly. I would prefer not to buy china made cheapies, even though I know I could get a lot of bang for my buck.
So what do you guys think? I'll go with whatever the majority says!

Attachment 128022

Just thought I would update with a fun picture and inventory what we came up with for the angel tree donation. :) I'm dropping everything off tomorrow.
A sweet Mama on here sent a big package with gently used diapers and inserts. She included more than a doz hemp, MF and bamboo inserts as well as a BG 4.0 in the cute Albert print and a Fuzzi Bunz large aplix pocket. Another Mama from www.TheGreenBabyStore.com donated a Bumkins AIO, some detergent samples, a wet bag and a tube of CD safe rash cream. Her store is going out of business and is offering 20% off. Thanks, Mamas! The other items I bought new or had planned to sell from my own stash.
18 new Osocozy Flats
3 new snap Flip covers
1 Bumkins AIO, Cat in the Hat
2 Alva Pockets, Stars and Camo
6 BG 4.0's repaired with new aplix
1 Large wetbag, owl print
8 Alva bamboo inserts

So that's a total of 12 pockets/AIO's and at least another 12+ changes with the flip covers. :lostit:
I'm so excited to have pretty much a full stash to donate. I would have liked to get some wipes and bottom spray, and a large enough wetbag to hold all the dirties, but at least this will be a good start. Now to type up some simple instructions and hints. ;) Thanks again, ya'll!

2+2macht4 12-03-2012 08:57 AM

Re: $100 to spend on Cloth for charity WWYB?

What about workhorse fitteds and covers?

badmisterkitty 12-03-2012 10:41 AM

Maybe BG 4.0's? They fit a lot of babies well and are relatively easy to maintain.

I would love to see a request like that on an Angel Tree. Surprised they will accept used things, though. Not that I have a problem with used, but you just see that so rarely.

Heather8183 12-03-2012 10:52 AM

Check out www.thegreenbabystore.com she's closing her online store and has 20% everything in stock. That'll at least get you a discount so you can get a little more. Melissa is a SUPER sweet mama!

formerlybailey 12-03-2012 10:59 AM

What about Imagine pockets or AIO's?

P!nkPepper 12-03-2012 11:01 AM

Do you consider Kawaii "china cheapies"? The plain heavy duty kawaii with aplix held up nicely for us. We don't have any now because they irritate my baby (so does BG).

Good luck in your choice. This is very sweet of you. :goodvibes:

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k

DottieHarley 12-03-2012 11:02 AM

Do you know what age you are buying for? That could make a difference. I would go with OS or 2-size dipes if possible bc they will get the most use out of them!
I agree that fitteds would be good, but I would definitely throw in some aplix AIO's. There is a good chance that ANY kid will be looked after by some kind of care provider, and it might help to have some daddy/daycare/grandma friendly dipes.
wipes and wetbags maybe?
How about a few packs of detergent? Another consumable that the family might have trouble buying (and buying ones that are specifically CD safe)

LRL 12-03-2012 11:11 AM

What about some one-size Diaper Rite pockets?

MamaJules 12-03-2012 11:18 AM

Most of the big programs that do the angel tree programs usually say no used items. So if this one does take used, I'm wondering if it is maybe a smaller, local program? Is there any way that you (or someone running the program) could contact the mom to get a better idea of what she is wanting? There are just so many options, and they all have pros and cons.

*Peanut* 12-03-2012 11:27 AM

Grovia aio's or ai2s. Some babies can't use certain pockets, like kawaiis. My DS had what looked like a sunburn in the shape of a kawaii diaper after having it on for an hour. My sister had the same issue.