Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   eye question (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469468)

DalesWidda 12-04-2012 05:26 PM

eye question

We all went for our annual optomotrist appointments. Both of my younger girls have astigmatism. But they don't need glasses. Can someone explain this to me?

My oldest doesn't have astigmatism, but she is slightly farsighted in both eyes. I was told she doesn't need glasses either. My youngest with astigmatism is farsighted in one eye.

Just wanting to know what this all means and if I should be on the lookout for anything in the future. Thanks!

DalesWidda 12-06-2012 01:33 AM

Re: eye question

anyone?

kanga1622 12-06-2012 05:47 AM

I have astigmatism and it doesn't really change much. It can be harder for people with ast to wear contacts. The biggest way that I notice it is that when driving at night, car headlights really affect my eyes and seem exceptionally bright so I have learned some coping mechanisms over time to look away from oncoming traffic if at all possible.

I wouldn't worry about it at all. I've been wearing glasses and dealing with ast since I was 8. My prescription is pretty strong but that is just the norm for me.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum

DalesWidda 12-06-2012 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kanga1622 (Post 16011644)
I have astigmatism and it doesn't really change much. It can be harder for people with ast to wear contacts. The biggest way that I notice it is that when driving at night, car headlights really affect my eyes and seem exceptionally bright so I have learned some coping mechanisms over time to look away from oncoming traffic if at all possible.

I wouldn't worry about it at all. I've been wearing glasses and dealing with ast since I was 8. My prescription is pretty strong but that is just the norm for me.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum

I have astigmatism too, and yeah I don't wer contacts. I didn't realize that is probably why I have a hard time at night. I hate driving at night. I just thought it was odd that my kids have astigmatism but don't need glasses. And since my oldest is already 11 I don't think her hyperopia will get better so I guess I should just pay attention and notice if she has a harder time reading.

Rhianna'sMommy 12-06-2012 07:54 AM

I don't precisely know what an astigmatism is - dh has it. Both my girls have it and both are mildly far sighted. Dd1's astigmatism is getting milder as she ages (she was diagnosed at 5 and is 8 now). It is pretty mild in both girls and if I recall right their slight far sightedness counters the astimatism so they don't need glasses. I might remember thatnwrong because the girls went with dh to the eye dr and he's the one who heard the news first hand.

Arabesque 12-06-2012 07:59 AM

I have astigmatism. What I was told is that it actually is the shape of your eye. It's more football shaped than round. That's why it's difficult to find contacts that fit. Also, apparently it affects your ability to focus, but not necessarily to see, if that makes sense. For example, if I look at a sign it takes me a few seconds to actually see what it says, but I can read it once my eyes focus.