Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Pls help! Toe hair tourniquet (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469594)

CaryHaven 12-04-2012 10:00 PM

Pls help! Toe hair tourniquet

We managed to remove some hairs wrapped all around three of my two month old's toes. Needless to say, it was nerve-wracking. The middle toe was the most red and a bit swollen. This is my problem. I am not 100% sure we got it all. I think we did, but the swelling/redness has only gone down a little. I've been watching it for an hour, and it doesn't look much better or any worse. When I try to spread the deeply embedded line apart (she's asleep now so hopefully she's not feeling anything) I can see that it has cut into her toe some (no blood that I see) and I assume that's why it's still a bit swollen. One other toe is a little swollen as well and it's also cut a bit. I just don't know if I should rouse the household to go into the ER at this time of night. The "line" of where the hair was is all the way around the toe except for one side. I don't really see anything there and that makes me think the hair is indeed gone, and the line and swelling are from the cut. I just wanted to know if anyone else has had this happen and how long it took to look better? Or worse? I feel like staying up all night and staring at her toes. :(

me_just_me 12-04-2012 10:31 PM

Re: Pls help! Toe hair tourniquet

Oh my! I've heard about that happening? Do you have a magnifying glass you could use to look at it to see better?

I hope the hair is gone and her little toes feel better soon!

boysniris 12-04-2012 10:39 PM

:hugs: how scary!!! I had never heard of this until tonight. I agree w/PP, use a magnifying glass and a flashlight to really thoroughly inspect her toes. I would go to the ER in the morning if she's unusually fussy and you still aren't confident you got it off completely.

CaryHaven 12-04-2012 10:41 PM

I never realized until tonight we don't have a magnifying glass but we have inspected it as closely as possible. We both believe it's gone now, but it just bothers me that an innocent hair could cause such damage. DH feels terrible because in his haste to cut it, he spread her toes a bit and that's why the two toes got cut (one much more so than the other). He feels terrible that he panicked and tried to solve it quickly, and I feel terrible that I didn't notice it sooner. Thank God it's gone though! We keep applying Neosporin and if it looks any worse tomorrow, we will def go see the doc!

ExpatMama1990 12-04-2012 10:44 PM

I had that happen to DD1, the same thing I wasn't sure I got it all, but it turned out to just be the indentation that made it look like there was still some hair left...

I would just check it out in a couple of hours and go from there...

boysniris 12-04-2012 10:46 PM

Something tourniquet-related happened to my toddler several months ago. We were driving, and all of a sudden he started crying. It got worse and worse, then screaming, and he was pretty much not paying attention to anything except screaming. So I pulled over and got out, opened his door and saw that he had that skinny plastic wire from a hang tag wrapped tightly around his finger. I guess it was attached to his car seat and had been tucked away (of course he found it and played with it). I was freaked out b/c I didn't have any scissors or anything to cut it. I used my teeth!

I think that her toes will heal from being cut, better that you got the hair off. Applying Neosporin sounds like a good idea.

CaryHaven 12-04-2012 11:02 PM

Aren't those hang tag wires the WORST? and why is it that sometimes I find one "extra" that never had a tag on it at all. I removed three separate labels/tags from a onesie and still found a nice sharp pokey one at her neck after she'd already worn it two or three times. I look forward to when she can tell me what's wrong instead of having to play detective all the time.

Mrsfroberg 12-05-2012 12:12 AM

The same thing happened to ds2 this summer- he was about 5 months. He got a hair wrapped around his finger, I noticed it while nursing him. I went to pull it off but instead pulled it tighter. Ugh, talk about a sickening feeling. I couldn't get it off and had to take him to the clinic. They had a tough time as well, and gave it one more go before they were going to send us to the ER (where they would have to make a little incision to get underneath it). This all happened the day before we left (with the 5 month old twins) for a trip to Maui, as if my day wasn't hectic enough!!

His finger was red, and had a line where the hair was for at least 24 hours. The redness went away, but the line stayed for a couple of days I think.

Agla 12-05-2012 04:02 AM

This happened to us. It was frightening because as you described the toe was swollen. I've since heard it can happen around a boy's privates. Luckily it was only his toe.

TinaDeanette 12-05-2012 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agla
This happened to us. It was frightening because as you described the toe was swollen. I've since heard it can happen around a boy's privates. Luckily it was only his toe.

Yup, that happened to my son! It was hard to get off but once we did we there was some swelling an a 'line' left.