Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   S/O Saxon Math? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469669)

7mom7 12-05-2012 08:06 AM

S/O Saxon Math?

This is not one that I've ever considered but I see that Classical Conversations recommends it. Any opinions?

missydawn 12-05-2012 08:35 AM

We use it and love it. It has a spiraling curriculum, so what you learn on page one you will see again, and again, and again. This makes sure your child does not forget it. It also moves very nicely imo. We do both math 1 for dd and math 5/6 for ds.

iris0110 12-05-2012 11:42 AM

Re: S/O Saxon Math?

I use it with my oldest and love it for him. He can sit down to work on his math while I work with my youngest. It would not however be ideal for my youngest, too much book work.

Vivhop98 12-05-2012 06:33 PM

The spiral approach was incredibly boring for my son and he cried almost every day and wouldn't do his math with Saxon. We are using Singspore and he is enjoying math now. It really depends on your child. I have to admit that e lessons were incredibly boring to teach and very scripted. We didn't like it for the younger years, but might try it again later.

5PrincessMommy 12-12-2012 11:33 PM

my daughter does the 7/6 book and hates it :X

Candy Lee 12-13-2012 07:10 AM

We love Saxon Math. My boys are all advanced in math and generally work 1-2 grade levels ahead. Saxon is a perfect fit for them. It's challenging, which we enjoy.

Psychomom 12-17-2012 05:27 AM

My Saxon experience is all based on our public school system, but it really depends on your kid!! My oldest used it in public school and it was awful for her. (She is homeschooled now.) My 2nd child is currently using it in public school and it's wonderful. Totally different kids, totally different learning styles. I was actually biased against it because of my previous experience but now I see it can be a good curriculum.

Jen's_4 12-17-2012 08:25 AM

I agree it depends on the kid. We used it in public school, and I hated it. So boring and repetitive.

KelseyH 12-17-2012 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missydawn
We use it and love it. It has a spiraling curriculum, so what you learn on page one you will see again, and again, and again. This makes sure your child does not forget it. It also moves very nicely imo. We do both math 1 for dd and math 5/6 for ds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Candy Lee
We love Saxon Math. My boys are all advanced in math and generally work 1-2 grade levels ahead. Saxon is a perfect fit for them. It's challenging, which we enjoy.

Totally agree with these. I've used it and it's what my mom used when we were growing up. We were always a couple grades ahead, so it wasn't tearfully boring. The little boy I taught was terribly let down by the public school system and his math skills were lacking. The way Saxon math operates, what he learned one week built on what he had learned a couple weeks prior. It kept everything fresh in his mind and forced him to actually LEARN the principles, rather than do enough just to skate by. It was exactly what he needed, and for more advanced students like my brother and myself, it presented just enough new material at a time to be challenging without frustrating.

growingmichaels 12-24-2012 09:35 AM

We have used Saxon math since we started homeschooling and love it. It is the one subject I have not changed curriculums on. I like the spiral approach and my kids enjoy the work. So far it has worked for two of mine...and I don't forsee the third having any problems with it when she comes up.