Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   wicking help (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469697)

LleytonandJaydensmommy 12-05-2012 09:26 AM

wicking help

Please help. I have brand new diapers that have all been prepped with velour inners that are wicking....i cant even leave the diaper on for an hour befor the legs start leaking out....how do i get these diapers more absorbant?!?

disneylindsay 12-05-2012 11:40 AM

Re: wicking help

I have no Idea? I am so sorry, I am anxious to hear though, I have a few velour fitteds and I find they are my least absorbant diaper...great in a pinch, but I NEVER reach for them.

Tina5834 12-05-2012 11:54 AM

What brand?

LleytonandJaydensmommy 12-05-2012 12:56 PM

Nanas bottoms. I love them but they wick :(

aldermother 12-05-2012 02:50 PM

Yes, our nana's bottoms newborn diapers leaked like crazy too. I'm sorry.

hilaryisinked 12-05-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aldermother
Yes, our nana's bottoms newborn diapers leaked like crazy too. I'm sorry.

Ours did too

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

lakemama 12-05-2012 07:19 PM

Sounds like the brand, but another thing to check. Are the legs too big?
I had that problem dozens of times over until I finally found something that worked.

LleytonandJaydensmommy 12-06-2012 12:17 AM

Nope he has chunky legs they fit fine. :( sad its the brand. I liked them

kirst 12-06-2012 12:36 AM

I just got some Nana's Bottoms a few days ago. I only had time to wash them once to prep them (even though the soakers are bamboo fleece and I know that takes at least 4-5 washes to really be absorbant). He wore all three of them one after the other today because I'm behind on laundry. None of them wicked and he's a heavy wetter. I was surprised as they aren't fully prepped yet so I halfways expected leaks.

To be honest, I got Denise to leave my diapers with a pocket at the back, so I could add a doubler if needed and to speed drying time. I flipped it inside out to dry them and I checked all the seams and they seem very tight and like there's a good seal there, with polyester thread. She doesn't serge the edges to finish it so it looks pretty, but that's good because it means there's not a gagillion extra little holes in the PUL that can wick.

Maybe it's the velour? I have a few bamboo velour and hemp fitteds and the velour is on the inside. Soft but really requires compression to soak up. I always use them with doublers, so it's not an issue for me. I would try putting a cloth wipe or fleece liner in the diaper until you get a few weeks worth of washes in.

I'm personally not a fan of velour for diapers. Sorry! I know the soft plushness is just oh so tempting. I hate how crispy it gets when you line dry it.

Mine are bamboo fleece soakers and either zebra suedecloth or fancy colored fleece inners. Super snazzy with black or chocolate PUL and I am loving the fit, too.

Dancy Baby 12-06-2012 06:59 AM

I agree it's probably just the fabric that maybe needs to be prepped more or is at least the culprit. We have Nanas bottoms for day care but use them regularly when we go out as well, but they are just 100% Birdseye on the inside. I think the fabric choice makes a big difference!