Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   WWYD: a (long) question regarding health and a party (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469890)

Hope4More 12-05-2012 06:54 PM

I'm stuck, and need to hear what you would do.

We have been planning a surprise trip for my FIL to see his favorite ball game play our home team ball game in the out of state town he grew up in. It is Wednesday- we are leaving Saturday morning. There will be a surprise birthday party for His 60th 6 hours away from my house, and the game is another 2 hours further on Sunday. We've been planning it for a while. DH ticket was $220, although we still owe SIL for it. I'm not going to the game (I don't like the cold), so I am staying with an aunt 6 hours away from here with DS (2 years old) while DH goes 2 hours further away to go to the game.

I've been exhausted for the last week. Dead exhausted. Today I got the aggravating cough that never goes away, and it dawns on me that it feels an AWFUL lot like this summer when I had whooping cough. In hindsight, I realize DS and I both had cold-like feelings a couple weeks ago, although not as bad as a cold. DS has been coughing for the last week, with rattles here and there, and occasionally has the "whoop", although the coughing fits aren't as bad as the commercials on tv.

DH says when he picked up DS from daycare today, our 5 month old neighbor was there, and SHE sounded JUST like the commercials. I called neighbor, says she has an appointment Friday, and daycare lady brought up the cough to her and said to get it checked out before coming back. She, too, had a cold three weeks ago.

I'm fairly sure we have Whooping cough again. DS is vaxed, I am not. I don't think we should go this weekend, because I understand it can be pretty tough for little ones, not to mention myself since I'm not vaxed, and I don't want to get stuck at a hospital so far away from home with DS if it comes to that (he has a history of struggled breathing when sick). But it's FILS 60th birthday, and I'll feel bad we aren't there. DH would go regardless (unless one of us gets SUPER sick by Saturday morning). Soooo... Do I go? Stay? Is it as bad the second time around, or is it stupid to risk it 8 hours away from home? I'm ready to stay, but I'm kinda getting the guilt treatment from DH, although he says he understands. I'll have he11 to pay from my MIL. WWYD?

BTW, thanks for reading a novel...

Soryr fro typos. Setn by iPhone.

mekat 12-05-2012 07:13 PM

Re: WWYD: a (long) question regarding health and a party

No, don't go. Not only do you need to worry about your health but the health of other people you will expose. However even assuming you weren't contagious it still isn't a risk I would take. Are you sure it is Whooping cough? The flu has gotten an early start in Alabama and I am fairly certain this Flu strain was not in the vaccination this year (going off what the ER doc told my dad). The cough with this strain is horrible.

OHIOFIFI 12-05-2012 07:16 PM

If you think you have whooping cough, I would stay home. IMHO, I would be pretty ticked if I got sick from a family member/friend who knew they had a contagious illness but still went to gathering and exposed countless others to it.

luvsviola 12-05-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHIOFIFI (Post 16010377)
If you think you have whooping cough, I would stay home. IMHO, I would be pretty ticked if I got sick from a family member/friend who knew they had a contagious illness but still went to gathering and exposed countless others to it.

This. I would send DH, but the rest of you stay home. Anyone with kids understands that DS being sick means you stay home.

Rhianna'sMommy 12-05-2012 08:19 PM

Well, first I'd go to the dr and find out if it is whooping cough or something else. If it is whoopng cough or flu or something highly contagious - I'd stay home. If it's nothing more than a bad cold, I'd go.

HeatherlovesCDs 12-05-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhianna'sMommy (Post 16010604)
Well, first I'd go to the dr and find out if it is whooping cough or something else. If it is whoopng cough or flu or something highly contagious - I'd stay home. If it's nothing more than a bad cold, I'd go.

This is what I would do. Since you have a couple of days, I'd go get it confirmed and make the decision from that info. Good luck! I hope you feel better and it's not what you think. :hugs:

(I have so been in your shoes with strep throat. We are VERY prone to it and I'm always on edge about trying not to give it to anyone else. But, it's hard to know without a confirmed diagnosis and we don't get super sick with it. It's a big pain! *sigh*)

cristy_1996 12-05-2012 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhianna'sMommy

This.

KelseyH 12-05-2012 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhianna'sMommy

Yup. My knee jerk reaction would be to stay.

DalesWidda 12-06-2012 01:38 AM

I would stay home no matter what. Even if it's just a bad cold. Our bodies tend to get stressed out when we are away from home. Ever notice how you come home from a vacation and you're bone weary and tired? Well times that by about a hundred when you're sick to begin with! I made the decision to go to Florida when I was sick. The plane trip was unbearable (ear pain) and when I got to Florida I spent half my vacation on my grandma's couch and in the pharmacy. I was miserable. Not worth it. Vacations should be fun. Stay in the comfort of your home where you can maximize your chances of getting well.

qsefthuko 12-06-2012 02:00 AM

I wouldn't risk spreading whooping cough. It can be deadly in infants and the elderly. Get checked but if positive stay home. Even if you will not personally be in contact with an infant someone you spread it to may well be.