Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Anyone else find suedecloth better for rashes? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469893)

shan1212 12-05-2012 07:00 PM

Anyone else find suedecloth better for rashes?

DD#2 is 9 months old and has fairly sensitive skin. Switching to disposables on a trip can cause a diaper rash (and sometimes I can't pinpoint why - after the first time I switched to Seventh Generation diapers, and the rash cleared up, but then the next time I used them, she got one again). I've been noticing that she's been itchier and redder lately, and I've determined that my diapers (equal parts RSD AIOs, Thirsties Duo AIOs, Simplex, and Diaper Rite pockets) bother her in that order from worst to best. The inexpensive suedecloth DR pockets generally don't create a rash at all. The athletic wicking jersey in the RSDs make her break out (sigh). I think the Thirsties just make her sweatier, and the Simplex make her moister (even though I use the "stay dry" side).

Has anyone else experienced less rash with suedecloth? I'm thinking I'm going to need to go back to being a pocket girl like I was with DD#1. I got so sick of matching up all the different inserts, especially when I had two in diapers, but if I have just one kind of insert and pocket, I don't mind. And I can definitely sell the RSD and Thirsties for more than the cost of stocking up on new DR pockets.

I'm also going to try a gentler detergent (currently using Ultra Tide HE) because both my girls have sensitive skin and my 3 year old has been getting eczema but there's definitely a big difference between material types. :headscratch:

rooster2012 12-05-2012 07:44 PM

My LO seems to have less irritation with suedecloth compared with cotton, but I don't have much trouble with microfleece either.

lakemama 12-05-2012 08:13 PM

Re: Anyone else find suedecloth better for rashes?

We have issues with suedecloth too. It seems like babies are all over the board as to what works for them. Unfortunately you'll probably have to order one or two to see what works best for you.

Malka 12-05-2012 09:10 PM

Us. In the last month before I went back to work full time, ds's thighs were constantly rashy. I tried all sorts of creams. I treated for yeast. I tried only prefolds and wool. The rash started when he wore sposies for a few days, so I knew switching to sposies wouldn't help. I stressed out because I didn't want him to start daycare with a rash I couldn't fix.

I had a stash of BGOS set aside for daycare, and within a few days of wearing them during the day the rash stopped. I have a pretty mixed stash, but I think he needs to wear suedecloth at least part of the time. On weekends he sometimes starts to break out again, and I think he is somewhat sensitive to fleece too.

KingsDaughter76 12-06-2012 01:45 AM

My son could not wear anything with suedecloth- major rashes. All babies are different I suppose.

boysniris 12-06-2012 01:55 AM

My son does better with any stay-dry -- microfleece, suedecloth, or AWF. But the thing that makes the most difference is for him to use a breathable fleece or wool diaper cover. PUL gives him rashes more than the type of inner fabric.

croth7 12-06-2012 07:42 AM

My experience is the same as the OP. I tried other diapers but the only thing that keeps DS's skin rash free is my BG 4.0s. I had saved my DD's stash of 30 BG Elementals and had to sell all of them because of his skin sensitivities.

greencrunchymama 12-06-2012 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malka (Post 16010847)
Us. In the last month before I went back to work full time, ds's thighs were constantly rashy. I tried all sorts of creams. I treated for yeast. I tried only prefolds and wool. The rash started when he wore sposies for a few days, so I knew switching to sposies wouldn't help. I stressed out because I didn't want him to start daycare with a rash I couldn't fix.

I had a stash of BGOS set aside for daycare, and within a few days of wearing them during the day the rash stopped. I have a pretty mixed stash, but I think he needs to wear suedecloth at least part of the time. On weekends he sometimes starts to break out again, and I think he is somewhat sensitive to fleece too.

This. My DD had a rash for months and when we switched to stay dry it went away. She can do suedecloth or microfleece.

breast4my3 12-06-2012 12:11 PM

My son has much fewer rash issues since I stopped using pul and started using fleece around the house. I still put him in a pul cover when we go out, but I try to slather him up with coconut oil before. Could it be time to strip your dipes and get rid of build-up or switch detergent? Good luck mama!

Pixi6s 12-06-2012 01:45 PM

I find that suedecloth is the best stay dry. We don't get moisture rashes here tough.