Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Which Fleece is Best for Covers? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469896)

breast4my3 12-05-2012 06:05 PM

Which Fleece is Best for Covers?

OK guys, I'm going to make some fleece diaper covers to use with my prefolds (and I'm going to get some flour sack towels and try my hand at flats). What kind of fleece is best for diaper covers... stays soft and doesn't wick a lot? Is minky worth the cost? I used some cheap fleece and doubled it for some pockets and it works very well, but it has become scratchy, will polar fleece or minky launder better? Sorry for all of the annoying questions, just want to make sure I get the best bang for my buck (tight budget) and something comfy for my son.

TIA ~ Tracie

twinmomstl 12-05-2012 06:10 PM

Anti pill fleece is worth the extra money, I hate how polar fleece pills. Minkee isn't going to keep moisture in I don't think. I thought that was more of a wicking material better for the inner later.

breast4my3 12-05-2012 06:42 PM

Re: Which Fleece is Best for Covers?

Ahhhh, that would have been a disaster!! Thank you, lol

~*~Tracie~*~
mommy to
Keller, 18
Madelyn, 14
Lenore, 11
Tyrod, 21 months
and hoping for another next year!! yes, yes I am crazy. :loony:

breast4my3 12-06-2012 11:55 AM

So does anyone know for sure if minky will or will not work as an outer on a fleece cover?

tia

~*~Tracie~*~
mommy to
Keller, 18
Madelyn, 14
Lenore, 11
Tyrod, 21 months
and hoping for another next year!! yes, yes I am crazy.

Malka 12-06-2012 12:22 PM

I think minky would leak. I've used it for pocket inners. Minky outers are laminated, and even so they seem to still wick more that regular PUL. The minky you're thinking of using isn't laminated.

breast4my3 12-06-2012 12:32 PM

phew, disaster averted..... thank you so much ladies!!!

mariamommy 12-06-2012 01:52 PM

malden mills fleece is regarded as a top quality fleece that is incredibly soft and doesn't pill up. More expensive though.

If you don't want to go that route, just get anti pill fleece (not polar) from any fabric store.

breast4my3 12-06-2012 01:53 PM

thank you! is that an on-line purchase or can it be found in basic fabric stores?

TrennaII 12-07-2012 11:20 AM

At Joanns there is anti pill fleece, which is a variation on Blizzard fleece. It's OK.

Malden Mills Polartec or Windpro is harder to find. Here in Portland we have one store that happened to have a little but doesn't always.

Green Acre Designs sells diaper sewing supplies and has Malden Mills Windpro, sold by the inch. I think that's the best deal out there.

breast4my3 12-07-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrennaII (Post 16016755)
At Joanns there is anti pill fleece, which is a variation on Blizzard fleece. It's OK.

Malden Mills Polartec or Windpro is harder to find. Here in Portland we have one store that happened to have a little but doesn't always.

Green Acre Designs sells diaper sewing supplies and has Malden Mills Windpro, sold by the inch. I think that's the best deal out there.

Thank you, I'll check them out!!! :thumbsup: