Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Reading question/vent (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469948)

Suzi 12-05-2012 09:11 PM

Reading question/vent

Overall I really like my boys stepmom but I'm confused on this.

My second grader isn't a strong reader but he keeps moving along. I have him read 2 books from our library's beginning reader section. They have this divided into two parts, basically easy and hard. I'm now getting him books that are the hardest of the easy, make sense?

Stepmom strongly feels that he needs to be reading books only out of the harder section and not be able to check out from the easy half. My problem s he stumbles a ton through these books. I would rather have him read with confidence.

He and I are also working through hooked on phonics.

Thoughts? Advice on what I should do different or what I should tell stepmom?

Hungry Caterpillar 12-05-2012 09:13 PM

Does he split time btw houses? Can he read harder books at her house when there but easier with you?

luvsviola 12-05-2012 09:19 PM

Re: Reading question/vent

I'd honestly let him read what she likes when she is with him, and read him what you like when he is with you. :)

Maybe email his teacher and get her opinion on the matter. That way, if you do want to push the issue with stepmom, you have more to back up your argument.

keen1981 12-05-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvsviola
I'd honestly let him read what she likes when she is with him, and read him what you like when he is with you. :)

Maybe email his teacher and get her opinion on the matter. That way, if you do want to push the issue with stepmom, you have more to back up your argument.

This. I'm not sure why it's that big an issue. Usually kids perform for others better than with mom or dad. And if she is enjoying the reading process and not frustrated with anything (and he is fine) it seems like a minor thing to even bring up. I have a beginner reader and would be estatic he was working in harder books with someone!

AbbieJack 12-05-2012 11:04 PM

Your child does not need to be rushed into reading. If he is having a hard time with level books you are picking out, I honestly would move back a step until he is reading with confidence. Rushing him will only make him dislike reading thus making it harder. I would tell the stepmom that its not her place and to back off. You are his mother and you will decide what he reads.

Suzi 12-06-2012 01:20 AM

Thanks. This is not something I want to really discuss with her. I'm fine with her making him do whatever she thinks is bet in her home. We have always had a respect for what goes on at the others house. She is the one that brought it up and wants me to change. I think I will let her know we will keep reading how we like to read at our home.

MamaLump 12-06-2012 07:14 AM

My only thing would be to get more than 2. Even if you drop to even easier books, 4 or 5 seem like a good number. More exposure to more words.

geez0pete 12-06-2012 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbbieJack (Post 16011287)
Your child does not need to be rushed into reading. If he is having a hard time with level books you are picking out, I honestly would move back a step until he is reading with confidence. Rushing him will only make him dislike reading thus making it harder. I would tell the stepmom that its not her place and to back off. You are his mother and you will decide what he reads.

My DD was like this. Rather than rise to the challenge or be excited about working on "hard" books, she would lose confidence and not want to read at all. Some kids love a challenge, mine hated to stumble over words.

Greenbabybottoms 12-06-2012 08:32 PM

I would continue do do the easier books. My kindergartner reads 2 books a day, one that is really pretty easy for her and 1 that is a challenge. I think it's important for them to have books that are easy for them to build confidence in reading and then a harder book for a bit of a challenge.

mkrisel 12-06-2012 11:17 PM

Please keep reading the easier books. For a book to be at a kids independent level, thy need to be above 95% accurate and have good comprehension. 90% accuracy is their instructional level where they can read with support. If we force kids to read books that are too hard, it doesn't help them and they et frustrated and don't like reading. I can't remember the exact study, but just from reading so many ,iTunes a day from books at their independent level, students made a yeas growth in a year.