Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   I need some suggestions - we are leaking at almost every change (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469998)

mg5g 12-06-2012 02:28 AM

I need some suggestions - we are leaking at almost every change

I am about ready to quit...
I "simplified" my stash when #4 was an infant to all pockets with AMP bamboo inserts. I need to figure out better inserts all three kids are leaking in under 2 hours - it isn't repelling - the inserts are SOAKED. I'm having a bit of luck with double stuffing (one insert trifolded with one folded in half wraped around it giving me 5 layers) BUT the diapers are huge and still leaking sometimes. I won't even attempt a night or outing in cloth because we can't even sort out being at home. My youngest even leaks out of a sposie at night - super heavy, heavy wetter. I am not interested in buying a new stash - this is what I got and I need to work with it or give up. BTDT with the massive stash of pricey fitteds and wool. I gave away all my covers, donated my wool and sold the fitteds - I can't afford to start a new stash. Is there a cheap doubler, a prefold or something that will absorb more then my bamboo inserts or that is thin and can be used with them? I would need like 20 - 30 of them so they need to be cheap. To make matters more fun I am having wash routine issues too - bought a new machine and can't figure out the stinkies so multi-layered inserts and microfiber are for sure no goes right now. Any suggestions are appreciated. I am using more and more sposies and at this point am seriously considering quitting because I just don't have the time to sort out a solution.

WannaBeGreen2011 12-06-2012 06:41 AM

I'm so sorry you're having troubles. Just a few things I thought of while reading your post:
-I believe bamboo absorbs a lot, but not quickly. I think you need something to absorb the liquid quickly, then let the bamboo hold it all in.
-Change more often if your kids are wetting out quickly. Some kids are just heavy wetters. My theory is that I'm not throwing them out, so it really costs nothing to change more often. Some people make sposies "stretch" longer so it's cheaper to diaper, but you already have your cloth so it's virtually free.
-Invest in some prefolds or flats. You can get them for a dollar or two each. Definitely a wise investment. Use them on their own or to stuff pockets. My kid's never leaked out of either of these. Plus they wash up pretty easily.
-Sometimes more is not better. All that folding and wrapping sounds confusing and..bulky? I can't imagine that.
-I believe bamboo is also susceptible to compression leaks. This goes back to changing more often so the leaks don't have time to happen. But is the elastic still good in your diapers? Do the legs fit well on each of your babies? If the fit isn't snug, leaks can slip out the leg openings.
-Are they truly leaks or wicking? I had issues with wicking that I thought was leaking until I looked closer.
ETA: My wash routine right now, with super super hard water and lots of MF: prerinse on warm with 1Tbsp funk rock ammonia bouncer. One hot was with Tide powder up to line 1, Calgon, and a bit of Oxy (occasionally I bleach in this step) with a double rinse. Another hot wash with Tide halfway up to line 1 with double rinse. Two plain warm water rinses and spins. If I bleached, I add another rinse. I could probably streamline my wash routine but I have a locking lid so I can't check for suds mid-cycle so I err on the side of too much rinsing. I've battled some stinky diapers and some serious rashes and this seems to be working for now.

Maybe test out some different combinations or fixes to see what works. Good luck mama! Try not to give up!!

boysniris 12-06-2012 09:03 AM

Re: I need some suggestions - we are leaking at almost every change

Sorry :hugs: I think it's hard to avoid "fluffy bums" when you are dealing with heavy wetters. You might have luck adding trifolded infant PFs to your current combo.

gingerpeachee 12-06-2012 09:10 AM

I know you don't want microfiber but those car rags at target sound like a trim/cheap solution for you and since you trifold them I bet they wash cleaner.

myclanof6 12-06-2012 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gingerpeachee
I know you don't want microfiber but those car rags at target sound like a trim/cheap solution for you and since you trifold them I bet they wash cleaner.

Was going to suggest the same thing. :)
If you haven't figured out your wash routine yet, why don't you just put the mf into a small bucket so you can bleach them separately (or just add more bleach than usual) so you can be sure at least they are getting clean enough.
I do agree with pp about the bamboo not absorbing fast enough. I stuff my pockets with flats/receiving blankets but dd isn't a heavy wetter. You can hit up some garage sales and did some blankets for super cheap and use those to wrap around or lay on top of the mf or bamboo.

abunchoflemons 12-06-2012 09:46 AM

Type of washer? Water type?wash routine? Try fleece/ flannel?or hemp?

jennayoung99 12-06-2012 10:34 AM

I would suggest flats, Wal-Mart flats are pretty inexpensive and absorb a lot, also they might make your wash routine a litter easier since they'll open up during the wash.

mg5g 12-06-2012 10:43 AM

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your ideas!

I know the simplist solutopn is to change more often but unless we have a poopy doaper I really can't change more then every two hours. Changes take me at least 10 mintues (changing three tooshies). On a "cloth" day I am averaging 22 diapers a day and three sposies at night. It doesn't sound like much but when you add it up it means I am changing diapers and or clothes for like 1.5 hours a day! I know it sounds horrible but I don't know how I would fit more changes in my schedule.

I don't believe we have compression leaks (?) the inserts are pretty darn saturated. Especially with my youngest who of course is the one I am having the most trouble with the bulk on since she is still pretty tiny. The double stuffed diapers fit her older brother MUCH better then her.

Elastics are tight and fit everyones legs well. I have several brands of pockets so everyone has their own best fitting diaper.

Wash routine ---
I have a brand new top loader. I thought I would like it :( It is one of those hydrowave models which agitates MUCH slower then a regular machine. I didn't know it was like that until I got it home. I bought it for it's capacity and price. It is HUGE and washes our other clothes really well. I do a cold rinse with a tad of purex and two scoops of oxi, a hot wash with 1/2 the regular amount of purex and a warm wash (sometimes two). Here is the weird thing - I have soft water BUT my detergent doesn't sud in the machine. I think the agitiation is too slow. I have bubbles when put it in the machine and turn on the water but the act of throwing the clothes in pops the bubbles and they never re-form. If it agitate the water with my hand I can get suds but the machine doesn't sud again without help. We have septic so I don't use bleach. All my diapers are fleece pockets and my fleece is holding smells. I also have trouble with some happy heinys hemp stuffins I bought for over-nights. They are multi-layers of hemp and really hold smells. They aren't too bad out of the wash but the smell comes back when they have any urine on them. I've tried stripping BUT I don't have suds. I've tried different detergent - I'm on detergent #2 after trying three different formulas of purex (cold, free and clear, and regular). I am now using a generic purex look alike. We have allergies and purex works well for us - I use the same detergent for clothes as diapers to keep things simple. I can't use tide but could use something else if there are suggestions.

THANKS so much if you've made it through this novel I REALLY appreciate the advice. I used to love CDing. I threw everything in my front loader on sani - waited three hours and although the time was a pain the diapers were clean and stain free. Now I have stains and stinks and soaking wet kids....

Pixi6s 12-06-2012 10:52 AM

Sometimes the diapers may seem to fit everyone but they rise is getting low -- eg they fit fine when you put them on but then they start to sag -- this is usually discovered by poop leaks though.

Hemp is thin and absorbent but doesn't absorb any quicker than bamboo, microfiber would probably work better.

I would say if you don't want to change more often maybe start thinking about the potty. If they pee too much for a diaper than it should be going into a pot, at least in my opinion. Maybe your older children can help with changes...

I have also read that you are not suppose to use the sanitary cycle on PUL and Elastic. You could be wearing down the diapers...

If you have stink issues it could be that your inserts don't have the absorbency or the stay dry of the pockets are repelling. Battling your stink issues might be the best first step.

breast4my3 12-06-2012 12:23 PM

I didn't see how you are drying your covers. Could it be time to re-seal them in a hot dryer? As soon as dh gets paid, I am going to get some flour sack towels to add into my very small and limited stash (can't beat the price). Maybe pad folding those and adding one or two of your inserts to it would do the trick? Or like someone else suggested maybe a preemie or nb pf (though if stink is an issue, I would thing the flour sack towel would wash and rinse better). I tried the mf car rags and they were HORRIBLE for us. The stink was atrocious and it didn't matter how deep I buried them in his pockets, he still got a rash. Now I'm stuck with all this mf that I hate, lol.... I would make them cleaning rags, but you have to clean things with them and that doesn't sound like much fun. ;-p