Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Need suggestions: stay-dry diapers with no microfiber? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1470066)

Nat4 12-06-2012 09:26 AM

Need suggestions: stay-dry diapers with no microfiber?

I've been battling some major stinkies with my microfiber diapers for a few months now, and my son seems to have a sensitivity to microfiber as well, so I'm on the hunt for great diapers without microfiber. I like the stay-dry option though, and trim is huge for me - the trimmer the better. Any suggestions?

Pixi6s 12-06-2012 09:43 AM

Re: Need suggestions: stay-dry diapers with no microfiber?

What diapers do you use today? Usually the microfiber doesn't touch the baby skin, if it's synthetic its either micro fleece or some sort of fleece or suede cloth that touches the baby. I'm not aware of any natural stay dry fibers.

penguinande 12-06-2012 10:38 AM

Swaddlebees one-size Simplex has an optional stay dry feature. It has fleece on one side of the soaker tongue so if you leave it untucked you get the stay-dry effect.

Textile_Mike 12-06-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nat4 (Post 16012399)
I've been battling some major stinkies with my microfiber diapers for a few months now, and my son seems to have a sensitivity to microfiber as well, so I'm on the hunt for great diapers without microfiber. I like the stay-dry option though, and trim is huge for me - the trimmer the better. Any suggestions?

Stink and irritation are often go together. When a diaper has lingering odor it usually means all or part are not getting completely cleansed and sanitized in the wash. The cause of incomplete cleansing is usually the wrong type or the wrong dose of detergent.

Diapers with a lingering odor will create ammonia when in use. Baby skin gets slightly irritated by ammonia and often goes a little red. It's more likely the skin sensitivity is to ammonia than polyester microfiber or any other fibers in the diaper.

The good news is the fix is usually easy. A double hot wash and dry using a good quality big-brand detergent (I prefer tide regular) usually clears up odor, you will likely see the sensitivity to the diaper disappear too.

From there, it's a good idea to find detergents that are well suited to the hardness of your water - that keeps the odors from returning.

Nat4 12-07-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Textile_Mike (Post 16012885)
Stink and irritation are often go together. When a diaper has lingering odor it usually means all or part are not getting completely cleansed and sanitized in the wash. The cause of incomplete cleansing is usually the wrong type or the wrong dose of detergent.

Diapers with a lingering odor will create ammonia when in use. Baby skin gets slightly irritated by ammonia and often goes a little red. It's more likely the skin sensitivity is to ammonia than polyester microfiber or any other fibers in the diaper.

The good news is the fix is usually easy. A double hot wash and dry using a good quality big-brand detergent (I prefer tide regular) usually clears up odor, you will likely see the sensitivity to the diaper disappear too.

From there, it's a good idea to find detergents that are well suited to the hardness of your water - that keeps the odors from returning.

Great info! Thank you!

I've actually researched ammonia issues quite a bit, and know I've had a problem with them. I've done multiple hot washes without detergent - didn't do a thing. I've changed detergent to Tide Original - didn't help at all. I added about 1/4 cup bleach for a couple washes, and that helped, but not for very long. Finally, I've recently started doing an RLR soak once a month. That helps the longest, but some of my inserts still smell vaguely like ammonia even the next day after the RLR soak. I'm totally stumped, and extremely frustrated. I have soft water. I do a cold prewash, hot wash, and two cold rinses. I don't know what else to try.

I seem to have less of an issue with my natural fiber diapers than with my microfiber, so I've considered switching my stash over. But I'd really rather not deal with the time and expense of that. And I've really liked the diapers I have now.

Anyway, there's the rest of the story. :-) Thanks again!

Mandan914 12-07-2012 02:46 PM

We use Softbums Large & OS bamboo pods and I just top them with a layer of microfleece I bought from Diaper Sewing supplies. It creates a thin stay dry layer and the bamboo is super trim & very absorbant, we never get stink with natural fibers :)

Poodlemum 12-07-2012 03:12 PM

If you have pockets, it would be super easy to switch to naturasl fiber inserts, I love bamboo. Super trim and holds a lot! Then you'd be able to keep your current stash. I'm not too familiar with commercial brands, but many WAHM diapers are natural fibers and can come with stay dry tops/inners. My AI2s and fitteds usually have a stay dry topper (I've been favouring cotton velour, the most stay dry of the natural materials) and the absorbent parts are bamboo/hemp fleece