Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Anyone else have a hard time getting ssn for baby? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1470102)

KLeeCW 12-06-2012 10:49 AM

Anyone else have a hard time getting ssn for baby?

My DD was born at home on Sept. 17. Our midwife filed our paperwork for the birth certificate and social security number. We got her bc around 4 weeks. We called the ss office and were told that it can take as much as 12 weeks to get the card. Okay. So we waited.

DD is 11 weeks now. We called and were told that obviously WE did something wrong because they have no record of receiving anything and no number has been issued for DD. Whatever, we just want to get this taken care of. We were told to bring her birth certificate and the midwive's birth record to the office. DH went to the ss office to get the number and waited for 2 hours only to get to the front of the line and be told he needed to bring DD's insurance card or immunization record as proof of identification to get her social security number. :banghead:

I mean, just to play devil's advocate, what if we didn't have insurance or didn't vaccinate? It's also my understanding that some insurance providers require a ssn. I just wish someone would have said something when we called because now we'll have to waste another day at the SS office and HOPE they don't give us the run around again. Now I'm wondering if my midwife really did send the paperwork or if they are just giving us a hard time because it was a homebirth.

mommabritt 12-06-2012 10:54 AM

I didn't have a homebirth but I had a heck of a time getting dds ssc. Hospital didn't turn in the paperwork, then they screwed up her name spelling. She was 7 months old before I had her card.

cdeweese 12-06-2012 10:55 AM

Re: Anyone else have a hard time getting ssn for baby?

They only required a birth certificate and shot records for our kid's SSN. They didn't require anything else and we applied 6 months after DS was born. I'd call and speak with a supervisor before I went back.

happysmileylady 12-06-2012 10:57 AM

That's goofy. While all of mine have been born in the hospital and have had no issues getting a SSN, I did have to go to the office when my oldest's name changed. We had to bring her new BC with her new name, and the court papers from the finalization of the adoption. They didn't require anything to prove her identity. Although, they didn't TELL me to bring the court paper when I called, I just had it anyway and the guy said it was a good thing I did.

And, my son was born on 10/12 and we already have his SS card. We got it within 2 weeks. Before his BC even.

erlyjo 12-06-2012 11:45 AM

That is ridiculous! I would never consider insurance OR immunization records as proof of identity. Why isn't a birth certificate proof of identity? Glad I didn't have a problem because our insurance does require SSN to sign up in he first place and we don't vaccinate right away.

TeachinAuntie 12-06-2012 11:49 AM

MY 16 month old still doesn't have a card, but we did get his #.

You can make an appointment at the SS office to cut down on the wait.

loveramongstars 12-06-2012 04:12 PM

I haven't had to deal with getting a ssn for the little one (due in Feb '13). But I have had problem with getting my ss card. I was born overseas (military) so we showed them the born abroad bc and they looked at it and said "We don't deal with non-Americans". I am an American! Read the other bc!!! And on the bc, they misspelled my mom's name (I believe because she is Mexican). I am sorry but I just do not like dealing with the government.

HeatherlovesCDs 12-06-2012 04:32 PM

We had this EXACT problem. With our younger set of twins, somehow they had no record of one of them being applied for, only one of the two. :headscratch: Anyway, I brought everything I owned for him including him and went to the office. I was able get it applied for that day. But, I suggest you go onto their site to see what forms of ID are acceptable. I found out that an ins card is NOT acceptable. I don't know who told you that, but they are wrong. If you use an immunization record, it has to be an original signed by the dr. Oh wait, we didn't have a birth certificate yet. I think that may have been why the ins card wasn't good. But, I would call and get very specific about what you need. Then, I'd call again to confirm. I live in a small town. So, my wait wasn't as long, but you don't want to have to wait again.

At any rate, I would check and double check exactly what you need. It was SUCH a pain in the back side. I was really frustrated that the hospital dropped the ball on getting this done for us. The SSN lady was pretty annoyed at our hospital too. Ugh!!

Oh and yes, I totally hear what you are saying about what if you didn't have thus and such. I understand their need to make sure, but it could be next to impossible. *sigh*

ETA - I used the proof of birth letter from the hospital. For some reason, that was like gold. Even the lady didn't understand why her system was so happy with that.

jasminegrl 12-06-2012 04:42 PM

http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ss5doc.htm#o-c-us-documents i didn't have any issues with getting my kids ssn but they were born on a military base overseas so we had their birth abroad paperwork and passports. if you go off the list of acceptable documents on their website they shouldn't be able to turn you away

Brooke789 12-06-2012 05:07 PM

We got the SSCs so fast! It was their first piece(s) of mail at about 5 days old :)