Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Labor, Delivery & Postpartum (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   Measured small, but had big baby? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1470390)

snoggle 12-07-2012 10:03 AM

Measured small, but had big baby?

I've been consistently measuring 2 weeks smaller. And we know my dates are correct. There are other reasons that I think this baby will be smallish. But, of course, everyone loves to tell you about their friend who measured small, but had a 12 pound baby! LOL. Okay, I'm exaggerating, but I'm just wondering if any of you measured small all along, but had a bigger baby, like over 8 or 9 pounds. Thanks!

MDever 12-07-2012 10:06 AM

Re: Meaured small, but had big baby?

I have not measured small but did measure accurately. Two of our babies were 8 ish lbs, one was 9lb10oz and one was 11lb 1/2oz. I am a little taller than average 5'9" and have a large frame, I don't know if that effects it.

ktmelody 12-07-2012 10:19 AM

Yup. I did twice.

At 31 weeks last pregnancy I measured 27 weeks (with my 7th baby!!) we did an ultrasound at MFM and baby was already in the 90th percentile!

She was born at 39w3days and was 8.14. My ob measured her that morning and guessed she was 8.13. He was spot on.

In my 5th pregnancy they diagnosed my baby with iugr at 27 weeks (I measured 23). I was monitored three times a week with biophysicals and nst. I also had a growth scan every 3 weeks. She consistently measured in the 3rd percentile. At 34w4 days they said she was 4 pounds 1 ounce and was not doing well on ultrasound. I had an amnio done that day, she was delivered the next day and weighed 6 pounds 1 ounce! I was under the care of the top perinatologist in our state and they were just plain wrong.

Measurements can mean something and they are sometimes just wrong.

Hope everything is fine for you. :)

shortcake2386 12-07-2012 10:35 AM

with dd 1 they kept telling me how "huge" she was at 34 weeks they said she was over 7lbs. i was terrified. imagine my surprise when 2 days later i had a 5lb baby....dd 2 was allegedly "tiny" (i only gained 12lbs and i was 105 to start with) suspect IUGR, etc. she was born at 36 weeks and almost 6lbs, so average imo. ds was suspected to betiny and was. 4.5 lbsat 36 weeks. dd3 was allegedly 8.5lbs at 39 weeks but was born at 40+2 and 6lbs 5 oz.

songbird516 12-07-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktmelody (Post 16016500)
Yup. I did twice.

At 31 weeks last pregnancy I measured 27 weeks (with my 7th baby!!) we did an ultrasound at MFM and baby was already in the 90th percentile!

She was born at 39w3days and was 8.14. My ob measured her that morning and guessed she was 8.13. He was spot on.

In my 5th pregnancy they diagnosed my baby with iugr at 27 weeks (I measured 23). I was monitored three times a week with biophysicals and nst. I also had a growth scan every 3 weeks. She consistently measured in the 3rd percentile. At 34w4 days they said she was 4 pounds 1 ounce and was not doing well on ultrasound. I had an amnio done that day, she was delivered the next day and weighed 6 pounds 1 ounce! I was under the care of the top perinatologist in our state and they were just plain wrong.

Measurements can mean something and they are sometimes just wrong.

Hope everything is fine for you. :)

Katie, that's kind of a crazy story. Did they ever give you any idea why they kept getting the wrong impression of her size? Also, how did you feel when she was born? Were you just relieved, or did you feel frustrated that you had been more stressed than you should have been? Comparing her with your other children, do you see a difference that you think might be related to all of the extra monitoring during pregnancy?
You don't have to answer any of that; I'm just curious. Most people don't have so many different pregnancy experiences to compare.

EmilytheStrange 12-07-2012 02:23 PM

I measured small and had a normal sized baby.

I agree with KTMelody that sometimes those measurements are just plain wrong. I would have been a little pissed if my baby was removed 6 weeks early for no reason! :P BUT.. I tend to believe everything happens for a reason, we just might not have the luxury of knowing the reason.

AniMommy 12-07-2012 04:23 PM

I measured on track and had a 6 lb at 41+3.

wordmama 12-07-2012 04:50 PM

I always measure small because my babies lie transverse (I have a bicornate uterus). With my DS, they said I'd be lucky if he was 5.5lbs at term. He came 3 weeks early and was 7lbs even!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Ontariomama 12-07-2012 05:06 PM

My midwives had me going every 3 days for US in the last 2 weeks as ds was measuring super small. He was just under 9lbs - looked like a little football player. :)

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

ktmelody 12-07-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by songbird516

Katie, that's kind of a crazy story. Did they ever give you any idea why they kept getting the wrong impression of her size? Also, how did you feel when she was born? Were you just relieved, or did you feel frustrated that you had been more stressed than you should have been? Comparing her with your other children, do you see a difference that you think might be related to all of the extra monitoring during pregnancy?
You don't have to answer any of that; I'm just curious. Most people don't have so many different pregnancy experiences to compare.

She was diagnosed with asymetrical iugr (meaning her head was huge and her waist was tiny). They thought she was storing all the nutrients in her head (which is what happens during that type of iugr) since she was stressed on nst and not reacting well I agree that they did the right thing by doing the amnio for lung maturity and delivering her. The risk of iugr babies dying after 36 weeks is high and not a risk I wanted to take. When she was born (and born large for GA) they knew right away that her head size was messing up the weight estimates. She has a very large head. (It was 15.5" at birth) She is 5 now and has a 23" head and her waist is tiny still! Its just how she is built. I have no hard feelings over it since she was stressed out, I had rising BP (and had severe pre-e during my 3rd pregnancy) and she was ready.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange
I measured small and had a normal sized baby.

I agree with KTMelody that sometimes those measurements are just plain wrong. I would have been a little pissed if my baby was removed 6 weeks early for no reason! :P BUT.. I tend to believe everything happens for a reason, we just might not have the luxury of knowing the reason.

At first I was a little peeved she was taken 6 weeks early seemingly for no reason but she was stressed out and my Bp was rising. It was the right time to deliver her. She had no issues breathing (we had a lung maturity amnio) but did have some bad jaundice that was treated in the picu for 3 days.

She is 5 now and healthy as a horse. :)