Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Formula Feeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Goats milk! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1470848)

IloveDoris89 12-08-2012 10:25 PM

Goats milk!

We just transitioned our 6 month old to goats milk completely! She drinks straight goats milk now with a small amount of distilled water. She is eating some solids with us and also gets a multivitamin every morning.

Since we switched her off of soy (very lactose intolerant like myself) she has stopped spitting up, seems happy and more satysfied and her poop has gone back similar to when I breast fed her.

I am so happy to have discovered goats milk but mostly happy for the people I came across that helped support and give me confidence in my decision to get off of convential formula!

Wooo!

Silver)O(Moon 12-09-2012 03:19 PM

Re: Goats milk!

I am happy it worked for you! :) Keep in mind that whole goat milk does have lactose in it though. Lactose is milk-based sugar, and its definitely a milk. Breast milk sugar is also lactose. So it may be the cow's milk protein that was the problem.

I wish it had worked for us! We have tried whole raw goat milk and various homemade formulas several times but it always gave DS have terrible smelling spit ups and constipation. We are stuck with powdered commercial stuff, but its what his body can handle. Every kid is different!

weesej 12-09-2012 04:18 PM

It really isn't safe to use straight goat's milk. It is too concentrated in some vitamins and lacking in some for a baby. It should be diluted by 1/3... as in 3 cups milk, 1 cup water and then add Brewer's Yeast and Blackstrap Molasses. (That is too add in the B Vitamins and Iron it needs) I can get you exact amounts if you need it. I used goat's milk successfully as a formula replacement for several children:)

IloveDoris89 12-10-2012 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weesej (Post 16023608)
It really isn't safe to use straight goat's milk. It is too concentrated in some vitamins and lacking in some for a baby. It should be diluted by 1/3... as in 3 cups milk, 1 cup water and then add Brewer's Yeast and Blackstrap Molasses. (That is too add in the B Vitamins and Iron it needs) I can get you exact amounts if you need it. I used goat's milk successfully as a formula replacement for several children:)

I cut it with distilled water, when I started out I used blackstrap molasses but after some research decided not to since it is horrible for teeth.

Edit: When I used the word "straight" I just meant I don't as yeast or molasses or carrot juice or etc.

And she gets a daily multivitamin and also gets nutrients from some solids we are introducing her to

IloveDoris89 12-10-2012 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver)O(Moon (Post 16023465)
I am happy it worked for you! :) Keep in mind that whole goat milk does have lactose in it though. Lactose is milk-based sugar, and its definitely a milk. Breast milk sugar is also lactose. So it may be the cow's milk protein that was the problem.

I wish it had worked for us! We have tried whole raw goat milk and various homemade formulas several times but it always gave DS have terrible smelling spit ups and constipation. We are stuck with powdered commercial stuff, but its what his body can handle. Every kid is different!

it could be, I am extremely lactose intolerant but also have small reactions to lactose free products just not as intense as regular products.

When I breastfed her she was always in pain and violently spitting up, I did consume some dairy but hardly any I just assumed she was having a reaction to lactose going through my milk. She was switched to soy and she was still spitting that up but not nearly as bad as my breast milk and not nearly as gassy as my breastmilk she just seemd more comfortable. Since she's been on goats milk she only seems to spit up if she is too full. And she just seems happy on it. I know some people are weary of it but its working for us, I did a bunch of research and what sold me were personal testimonies of people who were fed it as a baby and also chose to feed it to their children in place of lack of breastmilk or formula.