Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Potty Training (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   When to stop giving rewards? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1470875)

hilaryisinked 12-09-2012 04:28 AM

When to stop giving rewards?

My DD1 decided she wanted to start using the potty 2 days ago. She's done perfectly. No accidents, tells me when she needs to go, wakes up dry from nap. Last night was her first night in a pull up so I will see how she did. We haven't ventured out yet but we are braving it tomorrow to get her some waterproof trainers. My question is, when do you stop rewarding them, specifically if you use candy, for going potty? I don't plan on stopping in the next few days or week but beyond that? And if you are anti candy I don't need your input. My child is doing great and getting Raisinettes is motivating her to keep at it.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

coffeemama 12-09-2012 05:25 AM

Re: When to stop giving rewards?

I would sat a couple of weeks of doing well at the most. We quit after I week as DD1 caught on right away but two weeks you should be good :). Woohoo for just one in diapers!

hilaryisinked 12-09-2012 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeemama
I would sat a couple of weeks of doing well at the most. We quit after I week as DD1 caught on right away but two weeks you should be good :). Woohoo for just one in diapers!

Thanks! That sounds like a good plan. And yes, one in diapers is awesome! I forgot how easy it is!

*Katherine* 12-09-2012 06:25 AM

We did a chart for her to fill up with stickers (while still getting m&m s). So once the chart was filled, she got a big prize and that was the end of rewards

hilaryisinked 12-09-2012 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Katherine*
We did a chart for her to fill up with stickers (while still getting m&m s). So once the chart was filled, she got a big prize and that was the end of rewards

That is a good idea, thank you!

Layney82 12-09-2012 01:04 PM

We're giving DS tiny gummy bears and we're about 4 days into it. He's getting better now - no accidents at home, but still in diapers for sleeping and going out. Oddly enough, he has no interest in actually eating the gummy bears; he just keeps them in a little bowl and counts them periodically :) We will continue until the little bag of them is gone (about a week more) and I'm hoping that will be enough.

Rhianna'sMommy 12-09-2012 01:11 PM

For both my girls, after a couple of weeks they just stopped asking for the treats and I didn't offer. I had some on hand for the better part of a month but after the first few days I just waited for them to ask for the treat instead of including it with the praise. They just slowly started forgetting to ask. When the treats eventually run out they never cared - they were past needing the praise for pottying.

nicolemariep 12-10-2012 02:21 AM

We used M&Ms. I had a small jar of them and at first he got one every time he used the potty successfully, then I didn't remind him and he only got one when he remembered to ask after using the potty. As the jar got down to about 1/3 full, every time he went potty and had an M&M we would talk about how once all the treats were gone he would officially be a "big boy" who used the potty all the time!

He trained at a little over 2 and 1/2, and if he asked for potty treats after they were gone, we showed him the empty jar and reminded him how they were all gone because he was such a big boy and had done such a good job learning how to potty on the toilet. The candy being over was never a struggle, and that boy loves his chocolate.

hilaryisinked 12-10-2012 05:46 AM

The jar is good thinking. I think that would work for Aubrey.