Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Is it worth it? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1470925)

Belbaby3728 12-09-2012 10:32 AM

Is it worth it?

My dd will be 12 months on the 26th. She was EBF for 6 months, then started BLW. Since about 8-9 months she has really figured out solids on her own and loves to eat. Up to 10 months she would drink 4 3oz bottles while I work (3 days a week). Since then she has gone down to 3 3oz bottles and lots of times she doesn't always want the bottles- she'll drink them but not with vigor like she always did when younger.

I have never pumped what she eats while at work- usually short 1 full bottle.

I have been taking fenugreek and blessed thristle for 3 months. Added goats rue this past month and domeperidone about 2 weeks ago. I am going to be out of all but domeperidone today and am just wondering if it is worth it to get more. (Going to get more milk plus if I do since has all in 1 pill). They are expensive and don't seem to do much. I maybe get 1 more oz a day when at work. At home I have been pumping first thing in morning and after each nap (so 3 times a day after she nurses) and only get 1 oz each time. It's stressful to do this as home alone with dd and she screams from crib whole time (she's very high needs).

I am just not sure its worth it to keep supplementing at this point as it doesn't help enough to me. I have probably 3 weeks domperidone left that I would finish (and wean off slowly before gone). Anyone have thoughts? I figure after 12 months I would introduce almond or coconut milk and she could have that either as 1 bottle or mixed in. I would still pump at work but wouldn't need to stress so much about not making what she drinks. I am also thinking of dropping her bottles to 2.5 ounces. I think I would stress so much less about it if we went this route and wouldn't be stressing out over spending so much money on supplements. She nurses lots when I get home from work and we co-sleep and I do think she does a good amount of reverse cycling anyway. I plan to let her wean herself whenever ready- hope to make it to 2 years or longer.

Thanks for any thoughts mamas!

KaleidoscopeEyes 12-09-2012 10:41 AM

Re: Is it worth it?

i would nurse at home and not pump unless you're feeling uncomfortable.

Belbaby3728 12-09-2012 11:02 AM

I just don't think she'd go 100 percent without mamas milk all day on the 3 days I work. Where if I keep pumping at work only (cut out the extra pumping I have been doing everyday) I usually pump 6-8 oz and she can have that split between 2 bottles or mixed with a different milk when I work...

AbbisMomma2be 12-09-2012 12:51 PM

I'm new but just thought I would comment... I would maybe relax on all the supplements... it may be making you stress out more, and therefore pump less milk. I pump plenty at work buy my daughter barely eats when I'm working... but we also co-sleep and she's nurses all night... So my advice would be to just pump at work, and don't worry as much. She's eating, and when you get home, she'll nurse and get what she needs.. Btw, my dtr at 10.5 months only eats 6-8oz when I'm gone... mostly by choice I think. Good Luck!!!

Belbaby3728 12-09-2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbbisMomma2be (Post 16023226)
I'm new but just thought I would comment... I would maybe relax on all the supplements... it may be making you stress out more, and therefore pump less milk. I pump plenty at work buy my daughter barely eats when I'm working... but we also co-sleep and she's nurses all night... So my advice would be to just pump at work, and don't worry as much. She's eating, and when you get home, she'll nurse and get what she needs.. Btw, my dtr at 10.5 months only eats 6-8oz when I'm gone... mostly by choice I think. Good Luck!!!

Its what I am leaning towards. I have never pumped much and didn't start supplements till 3 months back as I was pumping less than usual.

KaleidoscopeEyes 12-09-2012 12:59 PM

i was so relieved when i hit 12 months and didnt have to worry about pumping. i pumped until 15 months but i was only getting 2-3 oz the entire shift and decided it wasnt worth bothering with anymore

Belbaby3728 12-09-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes (Post 16023246)
i was so relieved when i hit 12 months and didnt have to worry about pumping. i pumped until 15 months but i was only getting 2-3 oz the entire shift and decided it wasnt worth bothering with anymore

How long did you BF for after that? Right now I pump 3 times at work getting 2-3 oz each time.

jaelynsmommy61607 12-09-2012 01:10 PM

I stopped pump at 11 months. I had enough milk in the freezer ds continued to have bm thru 12 months. Then he had a mix of bm and coconut milk until 15 months. We bf until 17 months until he weaned. So j continued to work without pumping for 6 months. I'd let the supplements go.

SurprisinglyCrunchy 12-09-2012 09:33 PM

I would let them go. I stopped pumping at work completely when my DD was around 13 months old. She didn't wean until she was 2.5 years. Nursing after 12 months and not having to worry about pumping output is awesome. I'm about to hit that milestone again and I can't wait!

kbz2002 01-08-2013 11:01 AM

With DD I pumped until she was a year. Then I stopped pumping and I was still able to continue to feed on demand until she self weaned a week before she turned 2. I would personally stop, it doesn't seem like it's worth the stress.