Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   How many gifts for Christmas? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1471114)

MandaMommy2 12-09-2012 11:16 PM

How many gifts for Christmas?

To those who celebrate Christmas I was wondering; how many gifts do you buy each of your children? Also do you exchange gifts with your spouse? We're having to cut back more than ever this year and I was just wondering what everyone else is doing.

rverrone11 12-09-2012 11:29 PM

DH and I don't exchange gifts. I'm spending less than $30 on each of my DDs. My 5 year old asked for a new Diego DVD, a plastic horse and foal, and some batteries for a dog stuffed animal that she has. My 2.5 year old didn't ask for anything, but she is getting new undies (she loves Diego, and the only character clothes I let my girls wear are undies). She's also getting a few little people.

Christeacher 12-09-2012 11:36 PM

Re: How many gifts for Christmas?

One of my friends went to church today and the sermon was on christmas and how jesus got 3 gifts and that should be good enough for our kids. just a thought.

abunchoflemons 12-10-2012 12:35 AM

We just do $ limit so we go on that so like more smaller $ more gifts......hubby & I don't really do much for each other....mainly for kids. We might label onefrom each other.

AbbieJack 12-10-2012 02:14 AM

The kids only get 6 or so gifts from "Mom & Dad" and Santa brings around 30ish. They only get 6ish from us because of time. We have a large family and we open gifts from youngest to oldest. If each child had 20 something gifts from Mom and Dad in addition to the gifts from others it would take ALL day to open gifts.
Dh and I buy around 5-6 for each other. The kids also pick out a gift to give their sibling .

ktmelody 12-10-2012 02:43 AM

All depends on our budget.

We usually buy one gift for each other. Like jammies or a new electric toothbrush. :giggle:

The kids gifts all come from santa. Last year they each got 16. This year will be 12-14 each. They each get one from my inlaws and each get 2 from my parents. They dont get gifts from anyone else.

MandaMommy2 12-10-2012 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christeacher (Post 16025136)
One of my friends went to church today and the sermon was on christmas and how jesus got 3 gifts and that should be good enough for our kids. just a thought.

I agree three is a good number. I want my children to know the true meaning of Christmas. DH and I are just sad/frustrated about the cost of the presents this year. Our DD is only 3 months old and she won't know the difference, but DS is 6 and has his heart set on a few select toys. Maybe its just because he's older now, but it seems like all the toys are atleast $30 this year. Plus the bus moniter has been giving him toy catalogs to look at so his list keeps growing. I've been telling him to just pick two though because I want one to be a surprise.

NSnewmom 12-10-2012 04:02 AM

I think one from us and one from Santa, plus a stocking (lots of little stuff) is enough. He also gets presents from 2 sets of grandparents and 3 sets of aunts/uncles, so he will have plenty.

raisingcropsandbabies 12-10-2012 04:36 AM

I've heard of the 3 gift rule (to represent the 3 gifts of the magi).

Then I've also heard of the 4 gift rule. Something you want, something you need, something you wear, something you read. I think we are doing this one next year!

I got each kids 2-4 presents each. Then they each got a homemade toy and a little lego train in their stocking.

SaraElise 12-10-2012 05:33 AM

We shoot for the "something you want...etc", but really we have a budget and we stick to that. $50 per kid. My daughter got a bitty baby this year, so that is her gift (plus small stocking stuffers and Christmas pajamas). My oldest got a Lego set that he wanted, it was above our budget so it's from us and my mom, my middle child will have 5-6 gifts to open, but they are smaller. I've never had kids worry about the number of gifts they have to open and if they are equal or not.