Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   I bought a stinky diaper! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1471441)

Cdra 12-10-2012 09:31 PM

I bought a stinky diaper!

I know there is a thread out there about this but I can't find it. :(

I bought a used diaper in euc. but it STINKS like ammonia!! I smelled it right out of the bag it shipped in. I washed it with a small load of my regular diapers with bac out in the pre-rinse, extra hot water wash with extra detergent (i use country save) and a squirt of gse, and 2 warm water rinses. It's out of the dryer now and still stinks. I've never had a single stinky diaper. What can i do to rid this one diaper of it's funk??

raymark 12-10-2012 10:34 PM

Re: I bought a stinky diaper!

Boil it & if that doesn't work then boil it in vinegar

Cdra 12-10-2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raymark (Post 16029306)
Boil it & if that doesn't work then boil it in vinegar

Thanks for responding!

It's a fitted diaper with snaps and elastic. Is it ok to boil it?

anniekins1488 12-11-2012 12:05 AM

Eh, I wouldn't boil it. I'd try the 'ol vinegar plus oxyclean soak (there's a thread about the awesome chemical reaction here somewhere...) then wash it in a mainstream detergent once or twice (like Tide or Gain, something WITH enzymes) until it's not funky anymore, then wash as usual with the rest of your stash.

aemarques 12-11-2012 01:33 AM

Soak overnight in bac out! Bac out works wonders for us :)

Cdra 12-11-2012 02:02 AM

Thanks for the advice mamas. I'm out of oxy so I'm soaking overnight in bac-out and a lot of country save. Hopefully that will do it. If not then I'll get some oxy tomorrow. :)

disneylindsay 12-11-2012 04:44 AM

I personally would boil it too! just do it for 10 mins and make sure the snaps don't touch the sides of the pot! I've done it many times!

Tina5834 12-11-2012 07:40 AM

I got a diaper like this. I soaked it for a couple bouts in bac-out and then washed with bleach, I did this 2 times and the stink was gone.

lady longs 12-11-2012 07:49 AM

This just happened to me too!! I am soaking right now in Bleach and RnG. But, sounds like thats not gonna be enough. I will try vinegar and oxy...

raymark 12-11-2012 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disneylindsay (Post 16029565)
I personally would boil it too! just do it for 10 mins and make sure the snaps don't touch the sides of the pot! I've done it many times!

I boil every used diaper I purchase for 10-15 min.