Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   What was your favorite childhood holiday tradition and do you still do it? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1471478)

Hands&Fire Pottery 12-11-2012 06:13 AM

What was your favorite childhood holiday tradition and do you still do it?

I think one of mine was the endless cookie baking- we made like 12 different kinds of cookies and gifted most. We don't make that many yet, but we do sugar cookies and those have been really enjoyed by my 4 year old. I also still make special cookies for my dad that he wants every year.

A lot of the things I remember from my childhood though are not things we do the same way now.... we don't use a live tree and that was a big one from when I was small as we lived on an old Christmas tree farm.

mkrisel 12-11-2012 10:58 AM

Going to look at Christmas lights. We would pike in the car with friends and hit chocolate and drive all over to look at lights. Really started doing it with dd thus year ( 2.5). She loves it.
And a part of that is decorating our own house.
Also baking and making ornaments.

blesdfish 12-11-2012 12:46 PM

Re: What was your favorite childhood holiday tradition and do you still do it?

I know it's silly, but we have a HUGE breakfast Christmas morning before opening gifts. I think it helps the kids behave since they are fed. Then we snack all day on finger foods. Last year we had quesadillas for dinner, didn't bother with a big Christmas dinner! This year my in laws are coming and DH is bummed that we're cooking a big dinner, says he can't snack all day if we eat a big breakfast and a late lunch, haha.

blesdfish 12-11-2012 12:47 PM

Oh, and my mom didn't bake so no cookies. I was given a cookie press so we're making cookies tonight. First time, should be fun, maybe it'll be a new tradition :)

LittleThingsMama638 12-11-2012 01:21 PM

We used to put our Christmas tree up Thanksgiving night, which I do with my kids. They love putting the tree up on Thanksgiving and then decorating it and the house the next day.

We made homemade sugar cookies for Santa on Christmas Eve. This is one I'm struggling with. We still try to do it but our Christmas Eve is usually packed so I'm having a hard time figuring out how to fit cookies in with church, dinner, and presents at my parents. I used to do it before bed, but we get home so late the kids need to go straight to bed after opening their pajamas.

And of course the Christmas pajamas on Christmas Eve as our gift. My 4yo already remembers this one and is asking about it already this year.

One of the many things I do now, that I'm hoping my kids will continue with their kids, is a new special ornament each year. They each get an ornament representing something big for them that year. We've been doing this for 4 years, and between the three kids our tree is almost full of just special ornaments.

joyous 12-11-2012 01:51 PM

My aunts and grandma would come over on Christmas Eve and we would spend all afternoon and evening making tamales. I helped as much as a 10 year old is helpful. Lol. Once they were all cooking, we'd make champurrado (a Mexican hot chocolate) and drink that while we each opened one present. When the first batch of tamales were done, we'd each eat a couple.

On Christmas morning, we'd fry some of the cooked tamales for breakfast. It was the best.

We still do this to some extent. Not as much family comes over now, usually just one aunt. It's just not quite the same anymore.

thealmightyme 12-11-2012 01:56 PM

Christmas Eve and day. My aunt and her two daughters the closest cousins to my age would come over for dinner. Then we would open up our Christmas pjs. Then in the morning we did all of the gifts and go to another aunts house to have Christmas for the whole family.

tallanvor 12-11-2012 02:19 PM

Tree goes up on the 16th and is a family affair. We sort the ornaments and go at it, while Christmas music plays and we snack on a goodie (this varies, but is either prefer use, lebkuchen, or frosty treasures).

Christmas Eve we open one gift.

We have stocking traditions, too. Chocolate gold coins and marzipan (orange, as well, but that's DH's tradition). Stockings are opened on the bed with everyone.

badmisterkitty 12-11-2012 03:42 PM

We have hor derves (not spelled right, I know) on Christmas Eve and then open presents. We've deviated from this tradition a little bit here and there over the years, but I think those were years I was pregnant and couldn't bear the thought of another weenie in barbeque sauce. :)

happyhats 12-11-2012 03:47 PM

Growing up we always looked at christmas lights, either by driving around town or by going to a public display. We still do this. We akso always put up a tree thanksgiving weekend, which I like to try to do, but we have done it before or after as well.

The past couple years making a gingerbread house with my neice and nephew has become a tradition. Its also become a casual tradition to do Christmas eve or day breakfast with my sister and her kids.

Hubbys family also did the tamakes, though it was an aunt that made them so they just ate them, lol. I have no skills in that department but I buy tamales for hubby each Christmas and in a year or two we might try foing them ourselves.

I also try to donate in some way every year, and get my children involved. This year we did toys for tots, went to a charity food drive, and I let my daughter pick out a book to donate from barnes and noble. Just little things they cab understand right now. In a couple years I wouldnlike to do bell ringing with them.