Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Does a diaper like this exist? Help me find it please! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1471506)

CarolynLeigh 12-11-2012 08:56 AM

Does a diaper like this exist? Help me find it please!

I am expecting baby #3 in April and am starting to think about what kind of cloth diapers I should try using this time. Here are my issues... I have a huge (huge is an understatement) oversupply of milk and, as a result, my babies have been very heavy wetters with frequent poop explosions. Once they start teething, they also begin to have really bad diarrhea that causes really bad bum rash.

I am expecting baby #3 to be in the 6-7 pound range. I want a diaper that is sleek and trim but also able to contain a big, heavy, wet mess without coming out the back and sides. Does a diaper like this exist? Do you have any suggestions or recommendations? Thank you Mamas!

formerlybailey 12-11-2012 09:02 AM

Besides the trim part it sounds like a fitted would work. Probably the best for containment and absorbency. And you can use what ever kind of cover you are comfortable with pul, fleece, wool, etc,

tentrevival 12-11-2012 09:07 AM

Re: Does a diaper like this exist? Help me find it please!

fitteds can be relatively trim too. I would recommend gmd workhorse fitteds. They are very affordable and would provide extra elastic edges to hold messes in and more absorbency. She recommends getting doublers to add to the newborns as baby grows, and the other sizes come with them already. You can easily use them with a combination of PUL and wool covers, since the PUL is most convenient, but wool will be most bullet proof for naptimes. definitely check out greenmountaindiapers.com

KirstenP 12-11-2012 09:21 AM

I also have oversupply, and my baby is also a heavy wetter who poops a LOT.

During the day I use Babykicks Basic pocket diapers, and I find that they do a really good job absorbing her pee with the microfiber/hemp insert. Also, they are very sleek and trim - definitely the trimmest pocket diaper I tried. I have never had any issues with poop coming out the side/back, but I never had blowouts in any cloth diaper, only disposables.

I agree with the previous poster that if you have had issues with poop coming out of cloth diapers, a fitted with a cover is probably your best bet because it has that 2nd layer of protection - if it gets out of the fitted it probably at least won't get out of the cover. Babykicks also makes a hemp fitted diaper that is very absorbent and I use that for naps/overnight. The fitted itself is very trim, but since you have to add a cover over it, it will add a little more bulk, like any fitted/cover. I also use TotsBots Bamboozle fitted diapers, which are also very absorbent. I have had poop come out the sides of the diaper with those, but it doesn't get out of the cover, so that's not a big deal to me.

CarolynLeigh 12-11-2012 09:27 AM

Thanks for the very quick responses! I currently use one-size-pocket diapers with my youngest and I KNOW they will not stand up to the test of a newborn. I am skeptical that a pocket or AIO would work for us so I guess I'm not surprised to find that fitteds are being recommended.

I have seen a lot of people mention the GMD diapers and have very briefly checked them out. They look great, but just curious, what do they have on other fitted diapers? What makes them the best option?

starbeam 12-11-2012 10:51 AM

they're all cotton which a lot of people love, myself included, and they're much cheaper than most fitteds while still beung just as good

jills_mama 12-11-2012 11:23 AM

I had a similar experience with my dd and Kissaluvs were awesome. Way better than pockets or aios. The texture of the terry cloth really helped contain leaks. Gently used they can be very reasonable and then you can resell. Good luck!

alaskamum 12-11-2012 11:36 AM

This dd is down to pooping once a day (almost 3 months old), and lately they are so large and forceful that if I'm holding her it is filling the diaper and literally shooting out the legs and making a puddle on the floor. I'm not joking.
The only diaper I have not had a leak with this kind of pooping is a bgos 4.0. We have had poop leaks in flips, thirsties, & bge's... I think it's the wide crotch and leg casing that helps.
We did newborn prefolds and Thirsties duo covers for the first month or so, but she pooped more often so it wasn't as large, no leaks at that point.

MomBecks 12-11-2012 12:02 PM

Fitteds are definitely the best with containment. I'd suggest Bamboozles size 1 if you want trim but would grow with your LO. Thirsties Duo fitteds are great too and not too horribly bulky. Bummis Super Lites are a super trim cover that work well over fitteds as well as Thristies Duos. HTH!

disneylindsay 12-11-2012 12:36 PM

I Love my GMD workhorse fitteds!! They contain the mess, and they clean up amazing!! If you happen to get a stain, which I found rare with EBFP, I sunned them and it was GONE!
I found the fit of the GMD's to be really great also, even on a skinny chicken legged baby...My babies decide not to chink out until they are around 5 or 6 months and then there is no looking back!
I hope you find something you love and works great too!!