Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Duplicate Gift - WWYD? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1471694)

Leiiki 12-11-2012 07:13 PM

Duplicate Gift - WWYD?

So, a close relative visited us recently and I told this person how excited DD was about a specific gift we were getting her. I showed this person the gift and DD talked about it several times.

Fast forward to this week, I get a package from said relative containing...the exact same item :banghead:

This is not like a ball or doll where she might use more than one. It's a super-specific item you wouldn't need two of, let alone two exactly the same color, size, etc. It's also big enough that I don't want a spare kicking around our house. I would have to pay return shipping if I tried to return it.

What would you do?

stevensmom 12-11-2012 07:14 PM

Re: Duplicate Gift - WWYD?

sell it on craigslist

my2sweets 12-11-2012 07:18 PM

Yep, craigslist it.

Junipervt 12-11-2012 07:18 PM

return it if it's worth it (ex $50 & $6 return shipping = worth it / $10 & $6 return ship = not worth it).

if it's not worth it to return I'd gift it to someone else, sell on craigslist, or donate it

LittleThingsMama638 12-11-2012 07:20 PM

Can you return it to a store? Otherwise, I'd do like PP said: return it if it's worth it.. or sell it on CL.

CASMama711 12-11-2012 07:20 PM

Is it sold at a store with a flexible return policy? For example, could you return it to someplace like Wal-Mart for store credit?

If not, sell it on eBay.

This sounds like something our relatives would do. :banghead:

Rdesonia 12-11-2012 07:20 PM

Can you return the one you bought?

Heather8183 12-11-2012 07:23 PM

Gift it to her from you, save yourself the money :)

syfitz 12-11-2012 07:23 PM

Return one to the store and get dd something else "from" the relative. If I was super excited about giving a specific item to dd, I wouldn't let the relative steal my thunder, but would get dd another item I thought she'd like as a gift from them.

sweetDD 12-11-2012 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heather8183 (Post 16032531)
Gift it to her from you, save yourself the money :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by syfitz (Post 16032534)
Return one to the store and get dd something else "from" the relative. If I was super excited about giving a specific item to dd, I wouldn't let the relative steal my thunder, but would get dd another item I thought she'd like as a gift from them.

I agree with both of this. Return yours if you can't return your relatives gift, and buy another one. Your relative might not know what to buy and just bought the same because she/he have known that is what your daughter will surely like it.