Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   I don't understand people who say disposables are cheaper (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1471946)

BirthdayMama 12-12-2012 04:29 PM

I don't understand people who say disposables are cheaper

Ok, so I'm so frustrated and burnt out fighting rashes on both my kids with my stupid FLer that won't take bleach (and no, bleaching in the bathtub on a regular basis is not a viable option for me) that I actually did some scouting around pricing out sposies. Problem is, my kids have sensitive skin, and LO is the world's most explosive pooper, so generic sposies mean her clothes become disposable as well, IYKWIM. So the only ones that don't leave me throwing out half her clothes (or more) are Huggies or Kirkland. I won't be that mom who changes less often to save money on sposies. Per my spreadsheet, I'm looking at about $60/month. Sticker shock!! Ahhhh! Who are these people who say they can sposie for $20/month?? Are they just not changing diapers or something??? Even Up & Up (which just can't hold her poops. It's a fact.) would still run us somewhere around $45/month.

I can spend an awful lot on detergent and electricity before I'm anywhere near that! And I'm on kid #2, so we're pretty stash happy as far as fit and function go. Just can't shake the rashes unless we go sposies.

UVASahm 12-12-2012 04:33 PM

Re: I don't understand people who say disposables are cheaper

I think the people that are able to do sposies for less do so with coupons. For example, we use sposies at night so I stocked up a month ago. I had a BUNCH of $2 pampers coupons. Ht had them on sale and was doing a double coupon week for up to $2 coupons so I paid a $1 each for 20 packs of pampers 31 pack. That's an extreme example but you can save a lot with coupons. Babies r us tends to give money back if you buy diapers from them too. Let me know if you have other questions! I love coupons :)

luvof3boyz 12-12-2012 04:36 PM

Why won't your FL take bleach. There has GOT to be a way around that.

disneylindsay 12-12-2012 05:29 PM

What make and model? I have never heard of such a thing. Have you boiled your diapers? I would try that. It can make a world of difference. I have been hearing a lot about people who let the diapers soak in oxiclean and vinegar over night and then rinse rinse in the machine..I hear it is also a miracle worker...I be willing to try that and see if it makes a difference. Especially before you go to the expense of sposies.

lady longs 12-12-2012 05:37 PM

I think its just that most people are VERY short term thinkers - especially financially. They look at the cost of disposables - lets say $20 a box that they can get "on sale" for $15 a box and they can NEVER in their wildest dreams conceive that they would EVER spend $500 on disposables. Of course, most people don't do the math.

Then, if they do do the math...they prefer to have the steady cost of $60 a month over the up front large cost of cloth - which is anywhere from $250-$500. That's just more than a lot of people can swing at one time - especially when they likely have SO many other things that they're needing to buy. Add to that that they are likely to be taking some type of pay cut or major pay reduction or something.

So....I think people would be WAY more honest if they would say.....I can't pay the upfront money of cloth rather than "cloth is more expensive"

Of course, I think it takes a specific kind of person to absorb the "extra" that cloth requires - either extra committed to saving money, extra committed to the environment, extra committed to the health of your child (in a natural way). Because even though we all know that cloth is easier - cheaper - better....it does take an large initial investment of time, money, knowledge, research, shopping, etc.

Sposies take none of that - you just put them in the cart.

I think its just easier for people to say "its more expensive" than it is for them to evaluate the options.

I totally understand that, I really do. But, I am with you that I don't understand "Its more expensive" That's just silly

boysniris 12-12-2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvof3boyz (Post 16036134)
Why won't your FL take bleach. There has GOT to be a way around that.

:yeahthat:

I was going to ask the exact same thing, I have a FLer and bleach the nighttime diapers regularly. I mean, not being able to put bleach into a washing machine seems ridiculous.

ETA -- > do you think it's your diapers that aren't getting clean, or perhaps the fabric? My son had a lot of rash problems until I stopped using PUL and kept him in diapers that had stay-dry inners and breathable covers.

mamarudy 12-12-2012 05:45 PM

i was in my local CD store when i overheard the owner talking to another customer. the woman, who seemed completely lost and not familiar at all with cloth diapers, said she was looking for a specific diaper. the owner showed her the diaper and told her the price and she immediately left.
i think for some people they can't make out the cost comparison in their heads. they get sticker shock when seeing one diaper that cost as much as two 30-packs of disposables. what they don't take into account is that one diaper will replace CASES of disposables.
before going cloth, i did coupons. i was very brand loyal to Pampers though, due to my daughter getting rashes from everything else. even with coupons i still spent $40 a month, or more. i went by unit price, and if i found them for under 20cents a diaper, i bought them. but then it got harder to find deals and good coupons. it in no way is cheaper to do disposables, but most people don't have the money to build up a stash quickly. you can build a stash slowly but IMO you don't really see the true benefit until you move to cloth full-time

theonenonlymrssmith 12-12-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boysniris

:yeahthat:

I was going to ask the exact same thing, I have a FLer and bleach the nighttime diapers regularly. I mean, not being able to put bleach into a washing machine seems ridiculous.

ETA -- > do you think it's your diapers that aren't getting clean, or perhaps the fabric? My son had a lot of rash problems until I stopped using PUL and kept him in diapers that had stay-dry inners and breathable covers.

I don't know if this is OP's issue, but you can't use bleach with septic systems, so it could be a combo of not enough water with a fl and bleach not being an option.

penguinande 12-12-2012 06:52 PM

When we used disposables, we preferred up&up for both function and cost. Their unit price is about .16, so that came out to ~$30 a month for my 2 year old dd (but we now have two in diapers so it would definitely be more). If you throw in wipes and diaper genie refills, it came out to less than $40 a month. Even still, cloth is cheaper in the long run. My stash for 2 cost about $500, some of which I hope to get back by reselling, and I haven't seen a noticeable increase in utility bills. At $40 a month, disposables would run about $1500 for one child to pling, so we are saving $1000+ overall.

AZmommy 12-12-2012 06:53 PM

I could now sposie diaper for about $25-$30 a month using targets diapers a bulk pack runs $26 and hold 156 diapers for her size (4) if I did a change every 3 hours and used jsut one for over night I'd be averaging 5 diapers a day.. FOr a 30 day month that is 150 diapers.. One "could" argue it possible.. 3 hours in sposie for a light to medium day time wetter than is now lod enough to hold her pee longer isn't unreasonable...
Reality though yea it be more like $30 we seem to go through at least 1-2 days a week where she is constantly pooping, or with sposies a tab breaks off and the diaper is useless.. and none of this covers sposie wipes if you use those.

A year ago even our sposie cost would have been close to the $60 range easily..