Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What to do about 7.5 yr old DD's Christmas request? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1471959)

kattayanna_mom 12-12-2012 05:07 PM

What to do about 7.5 yr old DD's Christmas request?

Anna's only request for Christmas is a cell phone so she can text family and play games we can get her a free phone and just add another line to our family plan, but I am still not sure if I want to do this although she is always on my iPhone anyway,LOL and maybe getting her a phone will get her off mine.

Celeste 12-12-2012 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kattayanna_mom (Post 16036230)
Anna's only request for Christmas is a cell phone so she can text family and play games we can get her a free phone and just add another line to our family plan, but I am still not sure if I want to do this although she is always on my iPhone anyway,LOL and maybe getting her a phone will get her off mine.

I wouldn't, personally, but I don't necessarily think this is a right or wrong situation. I don't plan on getting my kids cell phones til they are off and driving places on their own.

s@hmommy 12-12-2012 05:15 PM

Re: What to do about 7.5 yr old DD's Christmas request?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celeste (Post 16036243)
I wouldn't, personally, but I don't necessarily think this is a right or wrong situation. I don't plan on getting my kids cell phones til they are off and driving places on their own.

This.

faiths13 12-12-2012 05:20 PM

It depends on the age. I got my 11 yr old son iPod last year and its been great and no monthly fee. He can even text for free (free app).

EmilytheStrange 12-12-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faiths13 (Post 16036263)
It depends on the age. I got my 11 yr old son iPod last year and its been great and no monthly fee. He can even text for free (free app).

yes. If you have wifi in your house, I'd just get an ipod.

AbbieJack 12-12-2012 05:34 PM

I personally would not buy a 7 year old a phone. Our children will not be getting them until they are driving and I will no longer be dropping them off. What about an educational tablet of some kind?

July10baby 12-12-2012 05:47 PM

I think 7 is way too young for a sale, regardless of why she wants it. Admittedly, I don't really see the reason why young kids need iPods, cell phones, etc in elementary school.

my2sweets 12-12-2012 05:55 PM

Theres no way Id get my 7yr old a cell phone. I just do not see the need or reason for such young childern to have a lot of access or their own ipods/ipads/kindles/whatever. However if she's always on yours then youre obviously fine with her being on it so thats a little different. Id suggest looking at text/calling plans(dont want to be surprised with a $400 phone bill!) and have her help you come up with limitations for it and of course consequences for when she breaks the rules.

luvsviola 12-12-2012 06:33 PM

At 7.5, my answer would be no. There is too much chance of it getting lost or stolen at that age, IMO. My 3 and 5 year old have DH and my old ipod touches, and while they take decent care of them, we do not allow them to leave the house.

Google Voice is free and available online. She could text message on a computer, which is much easier to track and to supervise.

I would get her something else.

kattayanna_mom 12-12-2012 06:38 PM

I did not think about tablets which seems like a better idea, we are now looking into that.
Thanks ladies.