Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Things Carseats (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Please recommend a convertible for a pick up truck (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1471997)

barnone 12-12-2012 07:51 PM

Please recommend a convertible for a pick up truck

I need some help for a friend of mine. She just bought the Graco Nautilus 3-in-1 for her 10 month old. The description at the store said it could RF, but everything I've seen says it's only FF. She drives a 95 Chevy S-10 and needs to put the carseat in the front seat (I'm not even sure this is allowed- I guess if there is no airbag, or it's off?). And the carseat will also be going in a Toyota Tacoma in the back seat. She also doesn't have a lot of money to spend unfortunately. As I mentioned, her DD is 10 mos and weighs about 20 lbs.

Can anyone recommend a carseat that would be good for her situation? Obviously, it has to be RF. That was my first concern when she posted the pic of her 10 month in his new seat. She thought the Nautilus could RF, but I guess not. Please help! There are SO many seats and I just don't have the time to do all the research needed. My 10 month old is going to be in a Britax Marathon, which I love- but I don't think she has that kind of money to spend.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

babilove121405 12-12-2012 08:32 PM

Re: Please recommend a convertible for a pick up truck

guide 65 around 80 or scenera around 40

luvsviola 12-13-2012 07:46 AM

If she wants to keep the Nauti for later, I'd do a Scenara for $39 at Walmart to get her through til she's ready to FF.

crazymom 12-13-2012 12:41 PM

Nautilus can rear face. My 6 year old who still sits in the full booster, sat extended rear facing in hers until she was 28 months. I just bought a new one for my 7 months old. LOVE the nautilus

Di..... mom to my teen, my princess, and a new addition may 2012. I can spell but my iPhone can't!

Computermama 12-13-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazymom (Post 16039302)
Nautilus can rear face. My 6 year old who still sits in the full booster, sat extended rear facing in hers until she was 28 months. I just bought a new one for my 7 months old. LOVE the nautilus

Di..... mom to my teen, my princess, and a new addition may 2012. I can spell but my iPhone can't!

Um, no it can't. The Nauti is a three in 1, yes. It's forward facing, high back booster and backless. You must be thinking of a different seat.

slimy72 12-13-2012 03:10 PM

Nautalis doesn't rear face. If money is an issue go with a costco scerena (about $40) and then keep the Nauti for when it's outgrown.

jackyl08 12-13-2012 09:42 PM

The Nautilus absolutely does NOT rearface, although many think it does due to incorrect labeling by stores. I would tell her to grab the Scenera.

jaelynsmommy61607 12-13-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazymom (Post 16039302)

I'd like to see pictures of this. Eek!

Dory 12-14-2012 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaelynsmommy61607 (Post 16041299)

I'd like to see pictures of this. Eek!

Yeah, or maybe I don't! I'm just hoping she has the Nautilus and the MyRide confused.

slimy72 12-15-2012 07:13 AM

Horrible admission time, from when my son outgrew his infant seat and I didn't know a ton about car seats:

It is possible to get the nauti in RF, but it isn't meant to. I know this because I hadn't done any research on the seat and went to BRU and the lady told me it could RF FF and booster. So I went out to my truck, put it in RF. and tried it out (didn't drive anywhere-my son was with dh at the time). With a little creative figuring I was able to find a place to put the belt through and "install" but couldn't figure out why the install was so bad. I knew something was wrong as things didn't fit the way they should. So I went back in and read the box and sure enough not suppose to RF. But it was possible to get it in RF and even get a seat belt to kinda secure it. It isn't approved for that and no way was it safe, but it is possible and someone who really didn't read their manual and just believed the people in the store might just not know. That was actually the day that I started reading manuals and really trying to learn about car seats because I didn't want my son[s safety compromised based on misinformation from someone at the store (which is previously what I had relied on).