Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Ive never cooked a turkey before. Help! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1471998)

mommyofhjm 12-12-2012 08:58 PM

Ive never cooked a turkey before. Help!

I need to cook a turkey this Christmas Eve and need help. Simple as can be please. I am feeding 3 adults and 2 kids. 2 of the adults and 1 kid can eat ALOT! When should I buy it, what do I do with it after I buy it? I'm lost. I will be making stuffing, but they don't want the kind in the bird, just stove top made separately.

kimb96 12-12-2012 09:22 PM

Re: Ive never cooked a turkey before. Help!

I cooked a turkey for the first time at thanksgiving and it was super easy. My dad bought a 23 lb bird and dh had to help me with it but otherwise it was super easy. You have to pull out the neck and the gizzards that are in the turkey. I rinsed it inside and out. Seasoned with salt and pepper and placed in one of those cooking bags. I cut up a couple sticks of butter in pats and placed all over the turkey. I baked it according to the temperature and time that came with the instructions. Like 5 hours at 350. Super easy and it was delicious!

Michelle_M 12-15-2012 04:05 PM

This is what I did for Thanksgiving and it turned out AMAZING! Very easy too!!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

I even made the spicy sausage stuffing and it was delic. I'll probably use mild sausage next time, though. The spicy had a real kick to it. DH and I liked it, but it was too much for the kiddos.

Anyway... it's easy, and really yummy.

You are going to want to put your turkey in the fridge for defrosting about 3 days before you want to cook it.

Once you open it, rinse it off in the sink and give it a little pat with the paper towels. Then just follow the recipe.

This was the first time I've used the cheesecloth soaked in butter.. but it really was good!

God bless!

bluedaisyma 12-19-2012 05:49 PM

I have a fool proof delicious recipe. I leave the turkey in fridge the week before and check to make sure it's defrosted a day or so beforehand. After cleaning it out, I stuff the cavity with onions, whole garlic cloves (skin on), lemons, thyme and rosemary. Rub butter/olive oil all over the skin and put some of the same herbs under the skin and salt and pepper the outside (sometimes I season the cavity also). Cook on 425 for like 3 1/2-4 hrs, seriously. If the skin browns too fast cover with foil. It's so juicy and tender even after a few days of leftovers. And dh jazzes up stovetop with hamburger and kielbasa

Hungry Caterpillar 12-19-2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluedaisyma (Post 16062103)
I have a fool proof delicious recipe. I leave the turkey in fridge the week before and check to make sure it's defrosted a day or so beforehand. After cleaning it out, I stuff the cavity with onions, whole garlic cloves (skin on), lemons, thyme and rosemary. Rub butter/olive oil all over the skin and put some of the same herbs under the skin and salt and pepper the outside (sometimes I season the cavity also). Cook on 425 for like 3 1/2-4 hrs, seriously. If the skin browns too fast cover with foil. It's so juicy and tender even after a few days of leftovers. And dh jazzes up stovetop with hamburger and kielbasa

This is basically how we cook our turkey as well.

Just remember at 350 degrees a fully defrosted turkey needs to be cooked twenty minutes per pound. Everyone's cooking times will be different according to their poundage but I always go off this rule and they always turn out perfectly.

We cook turkey many times during the year so we have lots of practice :)

Rdesonia 12-19-2012 07:44 PM

I let it thaw in the fridge for 3+ days.
I wash it, season it inside, put it in the pan to cook. Then I take pepper, salt, sage, spices,and lemon extract and mix that in mayo. (real mayo not salad dressing/miracle whip) I generously coat the turkey with the jazzed up mayo. I tent it with tin foil. 30 minutes before it is done (based on time) I take the tent off to brown. I never baste it. It comes out a nice golden brown and tender and juicy.
(DH is a baster... He thinks it needs to be basted ever 30 minutes with butter. The first time I did this I has to fight him off with wooden spoon -hehe. After it was done, He said, "I'll never baste anything ever again")

If you like Alton Brown (Good Eats), he has a whole show about cooking a turkey that you can watch free on Hulu. He also has the after turkey show that is stupid but does have great ideas for leftovers. (Stupid because the premise of the show is the "crew" is trapped by an inch of snow and takes his family member hostage to force him to cook leftovers. DH thought it was funny but I didn't)

slyfoxy 12-22-2012 04:54 PM

How to thaw out a turkey & oven bake one in a bag here is link.
http://www.countrytimerecipes.host-e...as_recipes.htm