Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Need recipe inspiration for elimination diet (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1474525)

MandaMommy2 12-22-2012 07:30 PM

Need recipe inspiration for elimination diet

I am currently milk, soy, beef, and peanut free. My EBF infant is very sensitive and this is what I have eliminated so far. I've been eating fish, but not shellfish with no ill effects. I need help with some menu ideas that are family friendly and reasonably affordable. Breakfast is easy because everyday I eat the same thing; oatmeal with flaxseeds, hard boiled egg & an apple. However I'm having trouble with lunch and dinner ideas. Thank you.

dressagemom 12-22-2012 07:43 PM

Re: Need recipe inspiration for elimination diet

Can you eat chicken? Rice? Most veggies?

What about roasting a chicken, and using the meat for soups, sandwiches, enchiladas, quesadillas, and salad?

Do you like omelets? Our favorite omelets spinach, mushrooms, turkey bacon, and cheese. They equally yummy without the cheese, as I was dairy-free with two of my littles while they were BFing. I also enjoy making muffin quiches, which make for an easy, grab-n-go meal or snack. If you can have sheep's or goat's milk cheese, it adds a depth of flavor to your omelets, but isn't necessary.

abunchoflemons 12-22-2012 08:50 PM

usually i have heard that you start with doing rice, applesauce or pears and chicken I think for a while as a base then add stuff to see if it is the culprit. try taking out gluten, flour, and others. i know a mama that has kids that are like allergic to milk, soy, flour, and a ton of stuff and it takes a while to find all and everything. hugs. I haven't had to go through this but know lots that have.

MandaMommy2 12-23-2012 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dressagemom
Can you eat chicken? Rice? Most veggies?

What about roasting a chicken, and using the meat for soups, sandwiches, enchiladas, quesadillas, and salad?

Do you like omelets? Our favorite omelets spinach, mushrooms, turkey bacon, and cheese. They equally yummy without the cheese, as I was dairy-free with two of my littles while they were BFing. I also enjoy making muffin quiches, which make for an easy, grab-n-go meal or snack. If you can have sheep's or goat's milk cheese, it adds a depth of flavor to your omelets, but isn't necessary.

Yes I eat chicken and most veggies. I try to avoid rice though because it causes me tummy problems. I haven't been able to find a commercial bread product that the baby can tolerate. Everything either had milk &/or soy in it or its been contaminated with them by the machinery. My LO milk allergy is severe to the point where she gets bloody diarrhea, breathing complications, vomiting and a rash so I have to be very careful. I haven't tried the special breads at the health food store because they ate $5 a loaf where I live. I normally don't eat a lot of bread anyways so I think I'll just have to make my own. I wish I could find a flour tortilla or pita that was safe for me to eat

I really like your idea about pre-made mini quiches. I did this before when I did the south beach diet. I've been trying to make extra food so I can eat left overs, but my husband eats a lot so sometimes it's hard. I've started putting my food in a separate container with some quinoa or veggies he doesn't like just do he won't eat
it.

dressagemom 12-24-2012 08:06 PM

Do you eat salad? I love to make a big salad and eat off it for several days, either for lunch or dinner, depending on what everyone else is eating. I also like to alternate my salad with a smoothie for lunch, since I can pack a lot into it.

Can you tolerate lamb or bison? It might be worth exploring, if it would expand your dietary options. You can use both those meats almost interchangeably for beef.

Do you have some soup options? Do you like roasted veggies? You could mix that up with some eggs or chicken for a more complete meal.

One of our favorite easy meals is roasted/fried potatoes and eggs scrambled with sausage.

MandaMommy2 12-24-2012 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dressagemom
Do you eat salad? I love to make a big salad and eat off it for several days, either for lunch or dinner, depending on what everyone else is eating. I also like to alternate my salad with a smoothie for lunch, since I can pack a lot into it.

Can you tolerate lamb or bison? It might be worth exploring, if it would expand your dietary options. You can use both those meats almost interchangeably for beef.

Do you have some soup options? Do you like roasted veggies? You could mix that up with some eggs or chicken for a more complete meal.

One of our favorite easy meals is roasted/fried potatoes and eggs scrambled with sausage.

Yes I love salad and eat a ton of vegetables. I've never tried bison and I've only had lamb once and didn't care for it. However my MIL prepared it so I might find it tasty if it were cooked properly. These meats are probably pricey though aren't they? I was thinking of getting some venison meat from our friends and see how that was. I like soup a lot but my husband and son are too picky. I always end up eating the same soup for lunch for five days when I make it. I guess I could make less, but I'm just so used to cooking in large batches. Thanks for the ideas.

desibob 12-26-2012 03:59 PM

I'm in the same boat as you are, but I also don't eat eggs. My husband makes me turkey "burgers". He uses turkey and portabello mushroom "buns". You can have chicken tacos with lettuce leaves instead of tortillas.

I eat a oatmeal, mashed potatoes with chicken stock only (no milk or butter), beans, pea soup with carrots and potatoes, lots of chicken (stir fried with veggies, in soups, on salads), and veggie soup with pork sausage (not sure if tomatoes are hurting us too, so I'll have to check if there are any reactions next time we make this). I can't remember what else we have, but it's been a PITB trying to figure out what I can or can't eat.

I also have coconut milk instead of dairy (SO delicious brand). I use it in my tea (decaf) and other foods that I like with milk (except cereal).

I'm always looking for more ideas since eating the same thing gets kinda boring. :/

xoxoproverbs31 01-18-2013 09:20 PM

Sorry to hear that! Had the same issue with my 1st newborn but lost most the baby weight immediately cause I couldn't even have sugar! Most of my meals we either fish or plain chicken with quinoa and a grilled veggie. I couldn't even do ANY spices, so no vinegar, garlic, not even pepper! It was brutal but it was for the baby and eventually he grew out of it and now at 2.5 yo we have absolutely no allergies or problems praise God! However with baby #2 almost here, I am nervous that this time around will be similar.

I would just stick with lean meat, starch/grain and veggies for dinner. Most of the time Husband had the same meal as me but I spruced it up a bit so it wasn't so bland and boring for him.

MandaMommy2 01-19-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desibob
I'm in the same boat as you are, but I also don't eat eggs. My husband makes me turkey "burgers". He uses turkey and portabello mushroom "buns". You can have chicken tacos with lettuce leaves instead of tortillas.

I eat a oatmeal, mashed potatoes with chicken stock only (no milk or butter), beans, pea soup with carrots and potatoes, lots of chicken (stir fried with veggies, in soups, on salads), and veggie soup with pork sausage (not sure if tomatoes are hurting us too, so I'll have to check if there are any reactions next time we make this). I can't remember what else we have, but it's been a PITB trying to figure out what I can or can't eat.

I also have coconut milk instead of dairy (SO delicious brand). I use it in my tea (decaf) and other foods that I like with milk (except cereal).

I'm always looking for more ideas since eating the same thing gets kinda boring. :/

Your turkey burgers with portobello buns sounds scrumptious. What brand of turkey do you use though. I'm worried about what "natural flavorings" are. Thanks.

MandaMommy2 01-19-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoproverbs31
Sorry to hear that! Had the same issue with my 1st newborn but lost most the baby weight immediately cause I couldn't even have sugar! Most of my meals we either fish or plain chicken with quinoa and a grilled veggie. I couldn't even do ANY spices, so no vinegar, garlic, not even pepper! It was brutal but it was for the baby and eventually he grew out of it and now at 2.5 yo we have absolutely no allergies or problems praise God! However with baby #2 almost here, I am nervous that this time around will be similar.

I would just stick with lean meat, starch/grain and veggies for dinner. Most of the time Husband had the same meal as me but I spruced it up a bit so it wasn't so bland and boring for him.

Oh yeah I'm defiantly not having any trouble losing the baby weight on this diet. I only gained 18 lbs this pregnancy and so far I've lost 32. I couldn't do any sugar in the beginning either because we had thrush terrible but now I use some brown sugar in my oatmeal every morning. I did just pick up some agave syrup to try though since it has a low glycemic index. My grandmother is on weight watchers and its what she uses.

It's getting easier to eat dairy, soy & beef free. I've just been making everyone eat the way I do. DH did make me buy some butter for him this week though. I've been trying out some recipes from godairyfree.org and a few other blogs. I just wish I had some family meal ideas that were make ahead or simple enough for DH. I figure if I get the dairy and soy out of the house everyone will be healthier. The Ped wants my older DS to cut out dairy again because he has been having severe constipation issues and he's an asthmatic.