Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Menu ideas? Allergies! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1479465)

LittleThingsMama638 01-08-2013 08:22 PM

Menu ideas? Allergies!

I have one kid who is allergic to beans.
I have one kid who is allergic to dairy, soy, corn, legumes, and nuts (peanut, coconut, almond).
I have one bf baby who so far is allergic to soy and dairy and sensitive to tomato.

I'm extremely limited in food ideas. I need help. We are eating the same things over and over. Recipes would be greatly appreciated.

mommy24babes 01-08-2013 08:45 PM

Probably not much help but we eat a heck of a lot of turkey, chicken, pork, and potatoes here.

We have quite a few of the allergies you listed plus eggs, Beef and oats.

I'll be subbing for ideas.

teacherpippi 01-08-2013 08:58 PM

Re: Menu ideas? Allergies!

-Stir fry (maybe a ginger sauce of some sort)
-meatloaf, baked potatoes, and fresh veg
-pizza with "pesto" sauce (we just use fresh basil, garlic, and olive oil)
-grilled chicken and sweet potato fries
-beef stew w/ apple juice, potatoes, and carrots

LittleThingsMama638 01-08-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommy24babes
Probably not much help but we eat a heck of a lot of turkey, chicken, pork, and potatoes here.

We have quite a few of the allergies you listed plus eggs, Beef and oats.

I'll be subbing for ideas.

Ahh eggs! That is what I was forgetting.kid #2 is allergic to eggs as well.

We are a meat and potatoes family here.. We eat a ton of steak and chicken and rice or potatoes and broccoli. Most turkey has dairy or corn in it. I'd love to cook it more, the kids love turkey. And most pork is cured in dextrose (corn).

mommy24babes 01-09-2013 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleThingsMama638

Ahh eggs! That is what I was forgetting.kid #2 is allergic to eggs as well.

We are a meat and potatoes family here.. We eat a ton of steak and chicken and rice or potatoes and broccoli. Most turkey has dairy or corn in it. I'd love to cook it more, the kids love turkey. And most pork is cured in dextrose (corn).

I have been been lucky enough to get turkeys and chicken from dhs uncle so nothing added.
Have you tried reaching out to a local farmer?

jbug_4 01-09-2013 06:47 AM

Do you like chicken pot pie and chicken and dumpling type meals? Beef stew, french dip sandwiches (we cook a pot roast in the crock pot with beef broth and what ever seasoning we can get away with- we like to use homemade onion soup. The put the meat on buns, for those who can have cheese we put provolone on the bun and toast it. Then dip in the juices) with baked sweet potato fries. Sometimes we mix in carrot fries with the sweet potatoes. Salisbury steak -hamburger patties browned and then cooked through in gravy. Saute mushroom and onions in olive oil (or whatever) we use corn starch as the thickener but you can sprinkle in some flour when onions and mushrooms are tender. Then add beef broth. add browned patties in, cover and let cook about 30 mins. low to med temp, a nice simmer. Served with mashed potatoes and what ever veggies- we like green beans with sauteed onions and dried cranberries.

Out of curiosity, doesn't really matter I am just curious, is there an actual coconut allergy or do you avoid because its a "nut"? I know some allergist recommend avoidance if there is a nut allergy and other say there is no need since its a fruit. My dd has a actual coconut allergy (as well as peanut and cantaloupe and a dairy sensitivity). Its not really that common of an allergy, but I seem to be meeting more people with coconut allergies every day. Maybe because its increased popularity in the last few years.

jbug_4 01-09-2013 06:47 AM

Do you like chicken pot pie and chicken and dumpling type meals? Beef stew, french dip sandwiches (we cook a pot roast in the crock pot with beef broth and what ever seasoning we can get away with- we like to use homemade onion soup. The put the meat on buns, for those who can have cheese we put provolone on the bun and toast it. Then dip in the juices) with baked sweet potato fries. Sometimes we mix in carrot fries with the sweet potatoes. Salisbury steak -hamburger patties browned and then cooked through in gravy. Saute mushroom and onions in olive oil (or whatever) we use corn starch as the thickener but you can sprinkle in some flour when onions and mushrooms are tender. Then add beef broth. add browned patties in, cover and let cook about 30 mins. low to med temp, a nice simmer. Served with mashed potatoes and what ever veggies- we like green beans with sauteed onions and dried cranberries.

Out of curiosity, doesn't really matter I am just curious, is there an actual coconut allergy or do you avoid because its a "nut"? I know some allergist recommend avoidance if there is a nut allergy and other say there is no need since its a fruit. My dd has a actual coconut allergy (as well as peanut and cantaloupe and a dairy sensitivity). Its not really that common of an allergy, but I seem to be meeting more people with coconut allergies every day. Maybe because its increased popularity in the last few years.

CMamma 01-10-2013 10:05 AM

Our allergies are gluten, dairy, soy, oats, bananas, white potatoes, corn... I may be missing something. My blog has recipes minus those ingredients. Oh & eggs too. I have some recipes w/o eggs as well since one child is allergic.

LittleThingsMama638 01-10-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbug_4

Thank you! We actually do French dip sandwiches a lot. They are so easy in the crockpot and the kids love dipping in the juice. :) I hadn't thought of Salisbury steak! We will have to try that one!

It's an actual coconut allergy. She had a rash that wasn't going away, put CJs on it and it got worse so I had her tested. Our allergist thought I was crazy for requesting it, but he thought that for corn too and that's one of her biggest allergies. Apparently not much is known about coconut, I've been having a heck of time finding information on it and what hidden words to avoid. I'm pretty certain she also has some hidden fruit allergy but I don't even know where to start with that. But the coconut allergy tells me it's very likely.

LittleThingsMama638 01-10-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMamma
Our allergies are gluten, dairy, soy, oats, bananas, white potatoes, corn... I may be missing something. My blog has recipes minus those ingredients. Oh & eggs too. I have some recipes w/o eggs as well since one child is allergic.

Can you post a link? I'm mobile and can't see signatures (not sure if it is in there) but I'd love to check it out!