Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Share your Crock Pot Oatmeal (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1481188)

happysmileylady 01-13-2013 06:31 PM

Share your Crock Pot Oatmeal

I have seen people post their recipes for oatmeal in the crock pot overnight. I hate the search function, it never pulls up what it's supposed to.

So please, share how you do oatmeal overnight in the crockpot please! I need to get breakfast together for tomorrow. :mrgreen:

hbee 01-13-2013 08:26 PM

Re: Share your Crock Pot Oatmeal

http://annkroeker.com/2008/03/25/ove...l-cut-oatmeal/

These are steel cut oats, but super yummy.

happysmileylady 01-13-2013 10:25 PM

That one looked good, but the oats I have are not steel cut. It says specifically not to use quick cooking, and I can't remember if I have quick cooking or old fashioned.

So I did some blog searching and found this...

Banana Cream Oatmeal

2 medium bananas, thinly sliced into 1/4 inch pieces
4 cups of water
2 cups old-fashioned oats, dry
1/2 cup fat-free, sweetened condensed skim milk

Spray slow cooker with nonfat cooking spray
Place the sliced bananas in the slow cooker first (this keeps them from turning
brown) and then add the water, oats, and the condensed milk.
Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Serve warm.

Yield: 4 (1 1/2 cups) servings

So I am giving that a try. The oats I have were just regular quaker oats, not the instant. I am crossing my fingers that this works. If not, I already have a pair of eggs hard boiled and peeled in the fridge for DH.

MinkaK 01-14-2013 11:05 AM

How did it turn out?

Adinanna'sMomma 01-14-2013 11:09 AM

Sounds yummy!

happysmileylady 01-15-2013 10:38 AM

Yeah, it did not turn out well at all. Totally burned and inedible in the morning. I was up with the baby around 2 and it smelled great, but when DH got up at 5, it was worthless. Maybe I had quick cooking oats and that was the problem? I dunno.

hbee 01-15-2013 10:53 AM

Next time, try putting it in a seperate bowl. I put a canning ring in the bottom of the crock pot, a 2 quart pyrex bowl with the oatmeal mixture on top, then I fill the crock with water to about 3/4 of the way to the top of the pyrex bowl. Keeps the oatmeal from drying out.

Geckmumto3 01-15-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbee (Post 16160493)
Next time, try putting it in a seperate bowl. I put a canning ring in the bottom of the crock pot, a 2 quart pyrex bowl with the oatmeal mixture on top, then I fill the crock with water to about 3/4 of the way to the top of the pyrex bowl. Keeps the oatmeal from drying out.

Yup. This is what I do, more or less. I just put the glass pyrex bowl in the crock pot (no canning ring), and I only put about two inches of water or so in there. We do oatmeal this way about 4-5 times a week, steel cut, large flake rolled, whatever is on-hand. Clean up is a snap and the water just has to be dumped out of the crock.

hbee 01-15-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geckmumto3 (Post 16160580)
Yup. This is what I do, more or less. I just put the glass pyrex bowl in the crock pot (no canning ring), and I only put about two inches of water or so in there. We do oatmeal this way about 4-5 times a week, steel cut, large flake rolled, whatever is on-hand. Clean up is a snap and the water just has to be dumped out of the crock.

I use the canning ring because I heard not using it can crack the crock.

Brooke789 01-15-2013 06:57 PM

I did one last weekend. In the crockpot I just did oatmeal + liquid and in the morning I mixed in bananas and almond butter. It was a big hit!

For my liquid I used a mixture of almond milk and water.