Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Do you clean your teen's room? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1481350)

Tina5834 01-14-2013 10:07 AM

Do you clean your teen's room?

We told DS that he can keep his room how he wants as long as the door is shut. Well, that's just not working because when I go put his clean laundry on his bed I have to walk through piles of dirty laundry. It's rather disgusting. So I usually clean it for him. I'm wondering now if our 'plan' wasn't the brightest! How should I handle this? Any good plans to use with your teens. I also fear that I am setting him up for failure when he moves out on his own because I'm always cleaning up after him. I don't want him to have to make his room 'sparkling' clean everyday. He's a teen boy!

mommy24babes 01-14-2013 10:16 AM

Don't have teens but I have siblings 7-8 years my junior.

For me it becomes a difference between messy, dirty,and bio-hazard :giggle:

Messy is ok. It's their space and can be cluttered disorganized or whatever works for them. if the want to live out of laundry baskets fine.

Dirty would be Dirty laundry. I don't see a problem with making them put dirty clothes into a basket and not on the floor.
Heck my 6&8 year olds can manage that 90% of the time.

Biohazard is completely unacceptable. Ie dirty dishes growing things. Making yogurt of sorts in cups ect :p

Please do have him take responsibility. My 6&8 year olds pick up their laundry and put it in baskets. Dhs on the other hand hits the floor! SMH!

l_Kimmie_l 01-14-2013 10:17 AM

Re: Do you clean your teen's room?

I do not clean my son's room. I allow him to keep it as he wishes. He keeps it clean though. The only clothing on the floor is his PJs from the night before. Once and awhile he will ask me to vacuum and I tell him he has to make sure the floor is picked up for me.

Tina5834 01-14-2013 10:25 AM

It's definitely not biohazard level!

ktmelody 01-14-2013 10:58 AM

No way. They have to clean their rooms daily and do their own laundry once a week.

Puppydog 01-14-2013 11:09 AM

You are raising someones husband. Do her a favour and teach him to be a man.

I live with an ex spoiled brat and his inability to clean up after himself causes many fights.

luvsviola 01-14-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puppydog (Post 16155724)
You are raising someones husband. Do her a favour and teach him to be a man.

I live with an ex spoiled brat and his inability to clean up after himself causes many fights.

This. IMO, I would not clean it. But, privileges would be lost if he didn't make it at least decent.

Tina5834 01-14-2013 11:14 AM

What do you all consider 'decent'? Should I expect it sparkling? My Mother cleaned my room until I moved out! :hide:

BSWmama 01-14-2013 11:22 AM

As a teen, my room was really messy. Mostly piles of clothes and clutter. Not biohazard because I never ate in there. I'm still not a neatnik, but I did change a lot in college, when I had to either share a room, or had a room the size of a postage stamp which functioned as bedroom, living room, office, etc. It would have been embarrassing to have underwear lying on the floor and have friends in my room. So, just saying, I would probably let him leave it messy, as long as it does not involve food or moisture or something actually harmful. Also, make him do his own laundry, because the natural consequence of having dirty laundry piled up, is having no clean clothes to wear.

boysniris 01-14-2013 11:27 AM

My parents never cleaned our rooms.

My boys are young: almost-8 and 3 1/2. I made them hanging laundry bags that go behind their door, one for colors/darks and one for whites. They sort their own laundry and sometimes they help wash the laundry. They only have beds/clothes and a few books in there, most of the toys etc go into the play room.

I generally don't clean up their stuff, but I will vacuum the floor and I'll organize if it's getting too out of control.

When they are teenagers, I'll probably do less organizing and let them decide where to put their stuff, but (if we're still living in this house) their bedroom will be limited to clothes/books/bedding and the rest of their stuff will still be in the playroom (which might become more of a "study" at that point). I would still expect them to keep laundry off the floor, it's not too much to ask and it's very easy for them w/the hanging bags.