Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Please help me keep going... update post #54 (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1481548)

evasimone 01-14-2013 06:35 PM

Please help me keep going... update post #54

I don't know if I can keep breastfeeding. I am physically exhausted and in pain. My nipples are scabbed and missing chunks, my baby isn't gaining weight, and I've seen a Lactation counselor three times already. I feel like we've gotten the latch as good as it can get.

I want to breastfeed and I truly believe its the best but I am so worn down and miserable I am contemplating pumping or going to formula. Please tell me it will get better...

BESMama 01-14-2013 06:44 PM

Re: Please help me keep going...

Call LLL. They were more helpful to me than any lactation consultant. Also, when I was in pain I broke all the rules and started pumping. Didn't nurse again until I healed. Baby was fine with this and we went on to a wonderful bring relationship for the next year :)

fishingfor5 01-14-2013 06:57 PM

I agree with calling LLL. Also have you checked to see if there is a lip or tongue tie? I also think it if fine to pump some to let your breasts heal. Are they both this way. Maybe you can nurse on one and pump on the other if one breast isn't too bad. Have you noticed any difference on one sider versus the other? I know it looks so easy but BFing is one of the hardest jobs and one that tests your patience to the limits. Hugs momma.

Teexie 01-14-2013 09:32 PM

I'm so sorry mama. It really sounds like you need more help than your LC is giving you. Please call around some more! And take care of YOURSELF too!

strongwoman 01-14-2013 10:43 PM

I remember feeling the same way with my first. If you feel like pumping will help, do it! Don't feel bad- you need to heal and be in the right frame of mind to nurse. It does take time for your nipples to get used to nursing, to "toughen up". It will get better if your LO is latching correctly, but if there are other issues, those need to be resolved first so definitely keep seeking out help, whether from LC or LLL. *HUGS*

AHASRADA 01-14-2013 10:51 PM

I agree with all the recs. Def. contact LLL. How old is your LO and how is your milk supply? If the latch is iffy, he probably isn't getting enough and your supply will decrease. Watch for signs that he isn't taking in enough, like not enough wet/poopy diapers. This happened to me, and I ended up having to supplement until my supply got back up. I had already breastfed 2 kids successfully with a great supply, thought I was an expert, LOL. Every baby is different and this is not your fault, you're doing your best, some babies just have a hard time learning to latch.

I ended up pumping for 10 months and giving her bottles. Not ideal, but better than formula. I kept on trying at the breast, and she would nurse some, but just never got the latch right to do so exclusively. Most babies do catch on, but don't beat yourself up if you end up deciding you can't take it anymore. You'll know when you've tried enough.

IMPORTANT! Rent an electric dual pump, preferably a Medela Symphony. They work the best and are the most efficient. I poked along with a manual pump for a couple of weeks, and that's why my supply took a dive. Manuals are fine for occasional expressing after supply is well-established, but you need an electric if your supply is in jeopardy and/or if baby isn't getting enough.

evasimone 01-15-2013 01:17 PM

Thanks everyone! I am definitely considering pumping until I heal up. It makes me feel better to hear that others have done the same. I think my supply is okay, when the Lactation consultant weighs her after feeding she is getting one ounce. I don't think she has a tongue or lip tie... basically what happened was that I was given poor instructions on breastfeeding and told that pain was normal. In a few days my nipples were ruined and I can't seem to get them healed. I should have trusted my gut which was that I wasn't latching right rather than listening to others. :(

I think her latch is pretty good now that I have worked with a LC. She still pinches so its not perfect but it doesn't feel like hot knives and my nipples haven't gotten worse. I am going to take fenugreek to help my supply and I am pumping after every feed and supplementing her around an ounce every day. I am hoping to increase my supply before trying to exclusively pump. I do have an electric pump and my baby is still super young; only 13 days old.

I appreciate all of the advice. I think Ill give LLL a call. I've already talked to them a few times but I don't think it would hurt to talk to them again. I feel so frustrated and done with nursing.

abunchoflemons 01-15-2013 01:37 PM

Try soothies, lansinoh as it seems to help some. It will get better.

Nerissa 01-15-2013 01:44 PM

It will get better. I always cringe when I hear people say that the pain is normal, umm no it isn't. It may feel uncomoftable but it shouldn't be painful and a person shouldn't have to tough it out for weeks. I am sorry you got bad advise.

My DD had a bad latch (from what I could tell and by watching videos she was fine until a few days I was raw oh so sore. She was nursing a ton. The LC I saw was amazing. While it still hurt to latch on (because they were raw) they actaul feeding was much better once the latch was corrected.

The LC gave me these breast shields to wear between feedings. That way nothing rubbed on my nipples and they healed so fast. I slathered them with lanolin Within a week I was healed and pain free

http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com.../breast-shells

c&w's mama 01-15-2013 04:26 PM

:hugs:

do what you have to and follow your instincts :)

hang in there and try what you need to make it work.

I've never called LLL (so no experience-- hope its really helpful!) but not LC are created equal.