Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Do you follow the 24-hour-rule? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1482046)

mommabritt 01-16-2013 06:40 AM

Do you follow the 24-hour-rule?

If your school kids are sick and stay home, do you follow the 24 hour rule (no fever or vomiting for 24 hours) before sending them back, even if they miss that 2nd or third day out of technicality?

jbug_4 01-16-2013 06:48 AM

Re: Do you follow the 24-hour-rule?

We haven't had it come up yet, but yes we would. We're really big on not spreading the wealth (aka our germs). That guideline is to insure that they are no longer contagious.

Geckmumto3 01-16-2013 06:54 AM

Yes. We believe people don't stay home enough when sick, so I am not going to contribute to that. Better to stay home and be quiet and rest as much as possible, even if 9 times out of 10 they "could have gone."

z2akids 01-16-2013 07:04 AM

Yes.

Just because someone's fever or nausea goes away for a couple of hours does not mean they are well.

Shaunam 01-16-2013 07:07 AM

Yes. My biggest pet peeve while working at a daycare is that so many parents would not follow that rule. I brought home sooo many illnesses I ended up having to quit because at one point something I brought home nearly killed my daughter. So for my DS I do go by that rule. He didn't miss any school the first quarter this year, but missed like 8 days the second quarter and so far one day this quarter. The day he missed last week was because he projectile vomited ALL over my room and even though I was fairly certain by bedtime it was a one time thing, I kept him home the next day just in case. I was right, it wasn't a bug, but better safe than sorry. Tummy bugs spread FAST in a classroom setting!

sojomisa 01-16-2013 07:41 AM

Yup we do. We've only missed two days at the most. And even then the 2nd probably wasn't necessary more of a rest day.

nursemama23 01-16-2013 07:53 AM

It depends. Fever, yes. Vomiting, sometimes. My oldest dd has always been a vomiter. When she was younger she would vomit almost daily over nothing (dh was the same when younger, often related to some perceived stress/anxiety) and still will vomit if really stressed/anxious over something (a week after Sandy Hook there were rumors of threats at multiple local schools and police were present, she vomited that evening). So for her, no, I don't always keep her home. Middle dd, yes, as she only vomits when sick.

mommabritt 01-16-2013 08:16 AM

Glad to hear the responses. I have several friends who go by the 'if they don't act sick, they're not sick' attitude and I can't stand it. One of my kids brings home a virus and our whole house is wiped out for 4-5 weeks while it passes around.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nursemama23
It depends. Fever, yes. Vomiting, sometimes. My oldest dd has always been a vomiter. When she was younger she would vomit almost daily over nothing (dh was the same when younger, often related to some perceived stress/anxiety) and still will vomit if really stressed/anxious over something (a week after Sandy Hook there were rumors of threats at multiple local schools and police were present, she vomited that evening). So for her, no, I don't always keep her home. Middle dd, yes, as she only vomits when sick.

I'm just referring to sick vomit, you the kind. :) My ds1 is also a vomiter. Nerves, food texture, smells....they can all be triggers. I don't keep him for that either.

Adinanna'sMomma 01-16-2013 08:36 AM

The school I work at is a preschool-12th grade private school, so my 2.5 year old DD goes to the school where I teach. She got sent home Monday around lunchtime with a fever and one episode of vomiting. I kept her home today, (Wednesday), and I am feeling pretty guilty about it, even though she ran a fever up through last night. Today she is running around and playing, and I feel like we probably should have gone to school today. Maybe I'm feeling guilty because I'm feeling bad for my sub who is having to try to figure out my cryptic lesson plans and find stuff in my mostly unorganized classroom. All this to say, today I am following the rule, although somewhat guiltily.

momtojande 01-16-2013 08:40 AM

Yes, but not because "rules are rules" but because I wish everyone would.

Also, the daycare my kids went to included some medically fragile children. I would not want to send my kid to school with germs that would hurt a kid who's already struggling.