Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   kombucha (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1482321)

dagmomma 01-16-2013 07:41 PM

kombucha

Anyone make there own? How do you do it? How long did it take you to get it right?

Raspberry Kisses 01-16-2013 08:47 PM

Re: kombucha

Yes, I do. I got a SCOBY from my chiropractor last summer and have been making it since. Actually, I got two because I killed the first one trying to make it using Lipton tea bags... NOT a good idea. :/ I discovered that you must use *organic* tea because the chemicals and pesticides in Lipton and other brands will cause the SCOBY to mold.

As for "getting it right," sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. I always start out with sweet tea made from purified water, *organic* black tea bags, and regular table sugar. It's about the only thing I use table sugar for anymore. Anyway, the length of time it takes to ferment is about 5-6 days in the summer and 8-9 days in the winter. I live in the Dallas area of Texas so it gets pretty hot in the summer. Just keep in mind that warmer temps cause faster fermentation. That's why sometimes Kombucha tastes more vinegar-y. It is not "bad;" it just has been allowed to ferment longer than your tastebuds prefer. :)

Raspberry Kisses 01-16-2013 08:48 PM

Delete post.

Nandis 01-22-2013 08:04 PM

Funny you would say that about lipton's... that's what I use, and mine is fine. No mold, no issues. My scobies are bright white, solid, and thick. I do use organic sugar. Yeah, it's ok to laugh about that... see, my cousin came to visit and bought the big pack of lipton's for her sweet tea when we went to costco. She got addicted to drinking Thai iced tea here instead, and didn't have room in her suitcase for the tea, so I ended up stuck with a bunch of lipton's which I don't like. Luckily, my scoby seems to like it just fine. I like it after about 5 or 6 days. It's usually around 68 or so in my kitchen.

Maybe my scoby isn't as picky? I bought it from Herbucha through Azure Standard and they sent organic oolong tea along with it. I have to admit that that first batch tasted better than the lipton's but I thought it was just the difference in tea flavor because I like oolong tea.

I don't mind it plain, but I really love it when I take the time to do a second ferment. I add ginger and leave it for a few days then refrigerate it. Or my newest creation was a combo of vanilla extract and a soft (Mexican) cinnamon stick (aka canella). I've only been making kombucha for about a month, but it's been fun. DH and the older kids (18,16,10 & 7) are still a little afraid of it, but the littles (3,2, & 9mos) and I love it.

I've been having fun playing with it. I've got a half gallon of raspberry green tea, a half gallon of hibiscus tea, and a gallon of lipton's going right now. I tried to ferment ponche (a fruity hibiscus tea traditional to Mexican holiday celebrations) and it was a disaster! I still didn't get any mold but it smelled like rotten eggs and the new baby scoby was lumpy and had holes. That got thrown out... scobies and all. :yuck: My next edible science experiment will be water kefir!

mabelinoad 01-22-2013 08:11 PM

I've heard many times about it...can you do a quick explanation what it exactly is?

Ignore typos...probably nursing, typing with one finger on my left hand while wrangling two toddlers. yeah, I'm that good.