Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introducing Solids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   BLW or purees? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1482443)

1healthylady 01-17-2013 08:51 AM

BLW or purees?

How did you decide? The Ped recommended skipping cereals, but suggested purees when she's ready (which will probably be closer to 6 months). BLW didn't even come up, and I wasn't ready for the solids conversation so didn't ask about it.

l_Kimmie_l 01-17-2013 11:29 AM

Re: BLW or purees?

I decided on purees after DS choked on other foods. He is clearly hungry for more than BM now that he is 9 mos (we just started). I find he does very well with food that is pureed. I do foods with tiny pieces in it now too, to move into the real food as I call it.

vmomma 01-17-2013 11:45 PM

I just did what my baby was comfortable with. I skipped cereal, and started with some purees for about a week. She was so interested in food at 5.5 months, and wanted to feed herself, so I started giving her chunks of avocado, banana, etc. She has been on table foods since. She's not a huge fan of purees, and does so well with texture, I went with it. It wasn't my plan, but it was hers. I have friends who's baby could only do purees for a long time because they would gag/choke on anything with texture. Basically, you plan, baby laughs. Have fun!

hilaryisinked 01-18-2013 01:16 PM

We did BLW with DD1 because I felt like it was the only right way. She ended up not eating as healthy as she would have had she been on purees. So we did purees with DD2. It's a personal preference. We don't really eat super healthy so feeding DD1 what we were having just wasn't a good idea. But I was so influenced into thinking I wasn't the "crunchy" mom I was if I gave my child baby food. I made DD2's baby food at home and enjoyed it.

1healthylady 01-18-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vmomma (Post 16173402)
Basically, you plan, baby laughs. Have fun!

Haha. Got it. I'll see what she's into when we get to that point and try not to think so much about it. :)

bemindful 01-20-2013 10:44 AM

We skipped cereals too. Started with purees thinned with breastmilk. We added in cereals a little later once he was getting the hang of solids. I did decide to limit rice cereal because of the natural arsenic levels. We offer mostly oatmeal. Just listen to your LO.

Greenwife 01-20-2013 11:56 PM

We did some of both. Mostly BLW at home and often sent purees to daycare or grandma's because they were more comfortable with it. She loved the food either way.

ForevergreenOrganics 01-21-2013 12:01 AM

BLW for the most part. My 9mo old is still taking solids super slow, we arestill breastfeeding all day :)
We found that BLW has been great! Baby loves playing with his food, picking it up & bringing it to mouth.

Mrsstupz 01-21-2013 07:46 AM

We are doing purees because of the history of digestive problems in my family.

SDJeannieZ3 01-21-2013 03:04 PM

Unless there is a medical reason, I see no reason to go all one way or another if you are unsure. I started letting my nearly 7 mo play with stripes of food this week & he loves it, but gets frustrated when they get lost. He's not excited about me putting things into his mouth, so purees are tough too. I'll just keep offering both until one or the other works out well for us.
I will say that, to me, purees are so much more work and mess- so I really woudn't be sad if he skipped them!