Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   How much school has your LO missed? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1482508)

leyash 01-17-2013 11:31 AM

How much school has your LO missed?

I worry about my DS2 because of how much school he has missed this year. They go to school from the end of August, to the end of May. From August 27th, to December 21st, he missed 8 days. :(

My oldest only missed two days during that time. They aren't excessively sick, and I can admit that two of the days that I kept DS2 home, it was because he just said he didn't feel well. He didn't have fever/vomiting.

I am not sure what the overall requirements are for him to be able to pass his grade and move up (I think more than 16 days, they talk about making up days/work or something). I don't plan on him missing school, obviously... but things happen. I also feel like because he HAS missed 8 days of school so far, that when I call on the days he is absent, they almost like... roll their eyes at me and say "yeah right" in their heads.

I thought about taking him in for PROOF and having the nurse check his temp when he's sick, but that's just exposing all of the other kids, and I REALLY don't want to do that. I also don't want them to think that I am just keeping my kid home to keep him home, either.

leyash 01-17-2013 11:34 AM

Re: How much school has your LO missed?

BTW, he is in Kinder. He's at a first grade reading level, and has mastered most skills already. He's a VERY smart kid, so I am in no way worried about him not being smart enough to move on. We got his report card yesterday, which is what prompted this thread.

mibarra 01-17-2013 11:43 AM

Has he ever been in school/daycare before or were you a SAHM? If you were a SAHM (even if you did playgroups) it's normal for the kinder kiddos to be 'more sick' than older ones as they adjust to being around so many germs. :)

leyash 01-17-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mibarra (Post 16170601)
Has he ever been in school/daycare before or were you a SAHM? If you were a SAHM (even if you did playgroups) it's normal for the kinder kiddos to be 'more sick' than older ones as they adjust to being around so many germs. :)

I've been a WAHM since he was born. He's never stepped foot in a daycare or anything. I knew this would play a big part, because he's never been around THAT many kids, so his immune system needs to be built up. I just hate that I feel so guilty about keeping him home. I mean, on average, he missed about one day, every 2 weeks. That seems like a lot. Short of multi-vitamins and eating healthy, I don't know of anything else that I can do to keep him from missing anymore school. I definitely don't want things to be the same as they were last semester, and unfortunately... we're smack dab in the middle of flu season, so I'm just worried that we're going to follow the same path. :(

mekat 01-17-2013 12:55 PM

Easily 15 days or more are missed, some years it is closer to 30 days but my son has multiple medical problems and an IEP. I know it is standard practice around here for doctors offices to write excuses. I usually don't bother and just write the excuses myself because DS's school isn't worried about a fake illness. Matter of fact the only thing they have required from the doctor was medical clearance to return to school after long bouts of absences.

You may just want to call the front office and ask to speak to the person in charge of attendance records. She/He can give you the 411 on what you need but where I am you don't worry until they miss more then 10 days and even then school administration said excessive absences didn't come into play until he was old enough to fall under the state's age requirement for being in school which in Alabama was 7 years old (I think they may have lowered the age recently though). I am sure attitudes and policies vary from school to school and state to state though.

stevensmom 01-17-2013 12:57 PM

0 days :cheer: we have yet to have a sick day here :)

when he was in preschool for 2 years I think he was home sick 2 days out of those 2 years

stevensmom 01-17-2013 12:58 PM

oh and if they miss 20% of the school year (I think 20%) then that is when you need to begin to worry :( They will send out a truancy officer out to your house and see what's wrong.

abunchoflemons 01-17-2013 01:04 PM

Mine missed 1 whole day. That was from being sick & temp of like 104 temp.....

leyash 01-17-2013 01:05 PM

He definitely won't miss 20%. I can't allow that to happen. He's way too smart to be held back a year because of too many absences, and I am hoping, that in the case of too many absences, they would take his knowledge/what he's learned/how smart he is, into consideration.

SaraElise 01-17-2013 01:48 PM

The laws depend on the state, I had one little boy when I taught kindergarten who missed over 20 days of school. No medical problems, no special reasons why, he just wasn't there.

In Ohio you are not required to attend school until 6, so in kindergarten it is very hard to "fail" based on attendance since most kids start at 5.

If you miss more than 15 days of school in a year, (without documented medical reasons) you cannot "pass". Though there are sometimes ways around it in special circumstances.

In some cases without documented excuses from school, parents can even be fined (this isn't counting sick days, more like kids who just don't show up)