Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Little kids and sports (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1482541)

sandhillcranes 01-17-2013 12:32 PM

Little kids and sports

DS is 3. Turned 3 in nov. A friend in my moms group is enrolling her DD is soccer. It is for kids under 4. Its 8 saturdays and theyre called "playtimes" not games or practices. Doesnt sound very serious and seems like it could be fun. Its cheap and they only need a shirt to play. I am thinking about it but do you think he would enjoy it? I hate starting something and not finishing it through...Id rather not do it at all than have him learn that quitting is fine. But is there some con to it? Besides being locked in to have plans on saturdays? Am I overlooking something?

s@hmommy 01-17-2013 12:34 PM

Re: Little kids and sports

Some kids love it and some hate it. We coached last year and were lucky our kid was the only one that hated it. They had a blast playing and it was super cute to watch since they were pretty clueless all over the place.

DalesWidda 01-17-2013 12:36 PM

I would go for it. If he really hates it pull him out. He's so young that you wouldn't really be teaching him that quitting is ok. If it's not a seriously league it will be more for fun and socialization that anything else. .

808mamaof3 01-17-2013 12:40 PM

My 4 year old (will be 5 next month), just started participating in our local AYSO soccer league. They have "games" but the kids switch back and forth between teams (of 3 kids per team) and both teams get high-fived when someone scores and no score is recorded. Most of the time they are teaching and engaging the kids in fun games that are meant to teach soccer skills, then they have their no-score scrimmage after. My son who normally doesn't do well with change and new things LOVES it. He enjoys playing with the other kids and we like that its helping build skills and enforce following directions (which he has some difficulty with at home).

maddys_mama 01-17-2013 01:14 PM

DD did soccer at 3 with 3 and 4 year olds. Just 45 minutes a week of play/practice, no games. Honestly, it was a nightmare and we never should have done it. She was a brand new three and her maturity level was far below those she was with. We both dreaded taking her to practices and, looking back, we should've just quit.

We gave soccer another try this past fall. She started around her 5th birthday and it was SO much better!

umphreysmommy 01-17-2013 01:16 PM

I signed my DD up and it starts in May. She will be just shy of 3.5. I wouldnt do it on saturdays because we are busy but it is thursday afternoons and i figured it would be fun to get out and meet some kids in our new town.

escapethevillage 01-17-2013 01:30 PM

We did it once and my daughter hated it.

But, she loved gymnastics and dance at that age.

In kindergarten I put her on a soccer team. She hated it. But, still loved dance.

In 2nd grade I put her on a basketball team. She hated it. But, loved dance.

So, she danced.

I think some kids love it, some kids have fun running around, and some kids will not like it at all.

mommabritt 01-17-2013 01:34 PM

Our oldest started playing organized sports at 4. He loves it still at nearly 10 and currently plays for traveling basketball team and subs for a club soccer team. My 7yo hated soccer and tee-ball at 5. He still has no desire to play. Ds3 who is 5 wants to play in the fall. I think it depends on the kid.

KLeeCW 01-17-2013 02:28 PM

We've been doing soccer with DS since he was 3. It's basically lessons where the coaches teach them basic skills and how to be a member of a team. Sometimes they scrimmage each other. It's really laid back. Like another said, some love it, some hate it. Most boys I've met love it. Of the 75+ kids DS has played with over the past couple years, I'd say 10 didn't love it, but enjoyed it anyway and about 5 flat out hated it, sat on the turf or grass and refused to move. Usually its the girls that don't like it.

I'd enroll him in it and hope for the best. Now if it was hockey, I'd say skip out until he shows an intense interest. DS did it when he was 4, THAT was a waste of money and Sunday mornings (7am ice time :yuck:).

ETA: Just to clarify, I didn't mean girls in general don't like it, just that the one's who end up not liking it tend to be girls in my experience. :goodvibes: Didn't want to seem sexist lol.

CaylaEP 01-17-2013 07:17 PM

DS will be three the end of April and he just started a soccer and a basketball class for 2.5-3yr olds at the y last week. He did much better in the soccer then basketball and I'm wishing we didn't sign up for that one but it is only 7 weeks so we will keep going. Both are basically learning small skills and getting some energy out. No games. Just fun stuff. The hardest part for DS is the waiting his turn, so I think it is actually good for him to have to wait. We did gymnastics too a few months ago and he seems to like the soccer the best, but it has only been 2 weeks.