Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Delaying MMR when other vax's up to date (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1482566)

chandni3 01-17-2013 01:35 PM

Delaying MMR when other vax's up to date

I know this a hot topic, I am looking for some information, factual information with links if possible, not stories. I am pro-vax and up till now my daughter has been vaxed on schedule except we didn't do rotavirus because I'm not comfortable with that virus that's in the those vaxes. I'm also waiting to do chickenpox because I don't feel it is necessary. In Ontario Heb B isn't done until the early teens. Anyway, it's been weird because we've had to reschedule her MMR shot done at age 1 three times. The first time I put emla patches on her arms and she had a reaction to them which never happened before. So we did the two other shots they do at the time (for meningitis) in her leg and made an appointment to do the MMR a month later. Then she got Roseola just before the appointment so I rescheduled. Now they've scheduled my indepth ultrasound for the same day as her MMR shot at the same time so I had to reschedule it again. I'm religious so I'm wondering if God is trying to tell me something. However, I'm not going to make a decision on possible coincidence.

Is there any benefit to delaying the MMR shot until about 2 years old while doing the other shots? What is the risk of catching any of these since I have a home daycare and am pregnant?

Hungry Caterpillar 01-17-2013 01:43 PM

Re: Delaying MMR when other vax's up to date

Did you get your titers drawn to see if you are immune?

This study just came out today
http://www.iom.edu/Reports/2013/The-...nd-Safety.aspx
It's the newest report available confirming that the recommended schedule is perfectly safe. Hope that helps.

Hope4More 01-17-2013 01:53 PM

We delay the MMR vax until 4 in our house due to autoimmune and autistic contraindications. History of autism & our doc recommends the vax at 2. History of autoimmune and we have chosen to skip the first dose and just get the 5 year old dose. I'm nervous only in that we are ttc and ds is not vaxed for rubella, but he goes to a 6-kid in-home daycare. He also received the vax before we know about it at age 1, but because he received the pox vax three weeks prior, I guess it doesn't count. I'm not willing to re-expose him.

chandni3 02-07-2013 07:12 PM

Re: Delaying MMR when other vax's up to date

Her appointment was rescheduled two more times! So I decided to cancel it. I'll wait until she's two to do the MMR shot. I thought about it and don't feel that measles, mumps or rubella are threats like whopping couch is so I'm not worried about waiting to do the vax. If there is a measles outbreak in our area I'll get her vaxed sooner. Her next shot is 18 months for prenvar again which is perfect timing because it's just before the baby is due.

poohbear1208 02-08-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hope4More
We delay the MMR vax until 4 in our house due to autoimmune and autistic contraindications. History of autism & our doc recommends the vax at 2. History of autoimmune and we have chosen to skip the first dose and just get the 5 year old dose. I'm nervous only in that we are ttc and ds is not vaxed for rubella, but he goes to a 6-kid in-home daycare. He also received the vax before we know about it at age 1, but because he received the pox vax three weeks prior, I guess it doesn't count. I'm not willing to re-expose him.

There's a contraindication with mmr and familial auto immune diseases? Have never heard of this, but auto immune diseases are prevalent in dh side of the family

tesslouise 02-08-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poohbear1208 (Post 16264606)

There's a contraindication with mmr and familial auto immune diseases? Have never heard of this, but auto immune diseases are prevalent in dh side of the family

Yes. The Sears Vaccine Book gets into this a little bit.

poohbear1208 02-09-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tesslouise

Yes. The Sears Vaccine Book gets into this a little bit.

Interesting. Will have to look into it, as dd #1 has already been dx w an autoimmune disease and dd #3 is due for her first mmr shot coming up