Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Could this rash be cow's milk allergy/intollerance? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1482613)

emerino 01-17-2013 04:07 PM

Could this rash be cow's milk allergy/intollerance?

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 130777

She was intolerant as an infant (breastfed). But gradually got better. She has been drinking goats milk for a couple months. I tried cows milk last week and she had a rash like this. Stopped, tried it again this week. She was happy and rash-free for 2 days. Now she looks like this and I don't know if its milk or from being a little sick or what. The goats milk makes her spit up sometimes so I'm not sure what to do. She'll be 1 on Monday.

3 ladybugs 01-17-2013 04:27 PM

Re: Could this rash be cow's milk allergy/intollerance?

Sounds like she is allergic at least some what. If you like you can try raw milk (even though I know it is controversial). My son gets diarrhea on pasteurized milk so he only drinks raw milk now. If you don't like that idea you can go to the other milks like soy and so on but would be careful about doing that. I really don't trust soy.

themaelane 01-17-2013 11:52 PM

After drinking the milk, note her drooling...does she react where she drools? DD did.

What happens if you put a drop of milk on her skin? Try while she's sleeping so it sits a few min. With DD she hived up at that spot (with ice cream).

themaelane 01-17-2013 11:53 PM

Also note that reaction s can take 48 hours to appear and take 3 weeks to clear from her system.

emerino 01-17-2013 11:58 PM

Thanks , I don't know anything about raw milk. Kids with milk intollerance can drink it?

I gave her some goat milk tonight. We'll see if that rash clears up. I don't want to go the soy route. My dr, nutritionist aunt said they don't really need milk if they can get the nutrients from other sources, but my DD seems to need the extra calories. I don't think she would eat enough to satisfy her, yk?

themaelane 01-18-2013 02:07 PM

Does she have an intolerance or allergy, or do you not know? I know little about intolerances, but if they are allergic to milk protein (my DD is) then NO, she cannot drink raw milk.

There are many benefits to organic raw milk, but an allergy to the milk protein is not gonna be fixed by that. I'd recommend you look them up if you are interested, or ask other mommas as I know little about raw milk.

Your advice is correct - they don't need milk if they can get those nutrients from other sources. You just need to pay attention to her diet to be sure she's getting all those nutrients, just as you need to be sure she's getting enough fiber or whatever. I also add a multivitamin just to be sure. They have gummy ones once she gets a little older that my DD loves.

My DD does not drink any milk. The allergist recommended against goat's milk for her (I think b/c if you can't handle cow's milk you often can't do goat's?) and she won't drink almond/coconut milk. And I try to avoid soy, its in so much. She drinks mostly water and I feel she's getting plenty of what she needs, even if we go without a vitamin.

Is she still putting on weight? There's a lot of ways to pack in healthy calories, like avocados, nut butters, etc. There's a lot of threads on here about that, or post asking about that.

Ellasundies 01-18-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themaelane (Post 16175950)
Does she have an intolerance or allergy, or do you not know? I know little about intolerances, but if they are allergic to milk protein (my DD is) then NO, she cannot drink raw milk.

There are many benefits to organic raw milk, but an allergy to the milk protein is not gonna be fixed by that. I'd recommend you look them up if you are interested, or ask other mommas as I know little about raw milk.

This isn't true. I have a milk allergy and have talked to MANY people who are allergic to pasteurized milk but can drink raw milk. I've got many farmer friends, who are all for every modern agricultural technology (including pasteurization) that also recommend raw milk for a milk allergy.

It doesn't work for everyone but it does kinda make sense to me. Allergies occur when your body attacks proteins it deems dangerous. Pasteurization breaks the proteins down, changing them and denaturing them, potentially making the body react to them differently.

Also it's pretty common that people with milk allergies can do well on goats milk. It's easier to digest and doesn't contain the protein that people with milk allergies commonly react to.

That said. I would be very leary to test anything on a small baby. Looking back I probably had my own allergy for years. It is probably the cause of my kidney stones (due to inflammation) among other problems as well. For the most part none of the symptoms were strong enough for me to notice or draw a link to milk with. A baby can't vocalize how they are feeling enough. I will be honest I don't even want to test myself for some of the alternatives just because I'm afraid I will go back to a smaller reaction and not notice it.

lecialefty 01-18-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellasundies

This isn't true. I have a milk allergy and have talked to MANY people who are allergic to pasteurized milk but can drink raw milk. I've got many farmer friends, who are all for every modern agricultural technology (including pasteurization) that also recommend raw milk for a milk allergy.

It doesn't work for everyone but it does kinda make sense to me. Allergies occur when your body attacks proteins it deems dangerous. Pasteurization breaks the proteins down, changing them and denaturing them, potentially making the body react to them differently.

Also it's pretty common that people with milk allergies can do well on goats milk. It's easier to digest and doesn't contain the protein that people with milk allergies commonly react to.

That said. I would be very leary to test anything on a small baby. Looking back I probably had my own allergy for years. It is probably the cause of my kidney stones (due to inflammation) among other problems as well. For the most part none of the symptoms were strong enough for me to notice or draw a link to milk with. A baby can't vocalize how they are feeling enough. I will be honest I don't even want to test myself for some of the alternatives just because I'm afraid I will go back to a smaller reaction and not notice it.

I think her information is correct. Intolerance and allergy are sometimes used synonymously but they're not.

But I do agree that someone that has an intolerance can do ok with goats milk.

I have a dairy intolerance but I am not allergic. I have not tried raw milk to see if there's a difference for me.

emerino 01-18-2013 04:27 PM

Thank you all. I don't know if its intollerance or allergy. When an infant, she would spit up a lot and scream all the time, until I cut out all dairy. Around 6 months I added everything but milk. She would still spit up if I had milk.

Now, she randomly spits up or throws up 1 or 2 times after goats milk. Sometimes she does, sometimes she doesn't. She otherwise seems fine with it.

This morning her cheeks weren't red anymore, so I gave her two bottles of milk today to see if it would come back and it did. I really can't tell if her mood is related to what she drinks or something else.

I picked up some more goats milk today. I guess I'll stick with that for now. She has her well visit next week and I'll talk to her dr about it. I don't know if I could leave out milk altogether...I don't think she would eat enough food. She loves to eat, but is starting to get finicky with her meals.

This is all new and odd to me because there are no allergies in my or DH's family that I know of and DH, I and the other 2 kids are allergy- and intollerance-free.

LittleThingsMama638 01-18-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themaelane

Your advice is correct - they don't need milk if they can get those nutrients from other sources. You just need to pay attention to her diet to be sure she's getting all those nutrients, just as you need to be sure she's getting enough fiber or whatever. I also add a multivitamin just to be sure. They have gummy ones once she gets a little older that my DD loves.

My DD does not drink any milk. The allergist recommended against goat's milk for her (I think b/c if you can't handle cow's milk you often can't do goat's?) and she won't drink almond/coconut milk. And I try to avoid soy, its in so much. She drinks mostly water and I feel she's getting plenty of what she needs, even if we go without a vitamin.

Is she still putting on weight? There's a lot of ways to pack in healthy calories, like avocados, nut butters, etc. There's a lot of threads on here about that, or post asking about that.

Yes! If you can't do cows milk, you can't do goats milk. The proteins are the same. You need to try a different milk: almond, coconut, rice if there's a nut allergy.

I know nothing about raw milk and proteins but my dd hives up at milk so it's not even worth the risk for us to try it. But yes it does look like a milk allergy, my kids faces get like that when I eat dairy while bfing. Their reactions are much worse when they ingest it. The throwing up and spitting up also makes me think allergy.